A 20 minute in-depth intermediate tutorial on how to create a nuclear explosion in 3Ds max 4 and onwards without additional plugins.
If you are using an older version, use editable mesh instead of editable poly & activate animate on the mesh and directly deform it instead of using morpher.
This tutorial will hopefully teach you how to:
* model a mushroom cloud using splines + lathe + editable mesh/poly
* make 3 explosive materials using displace, diffuse & cellular maps
* make blend materials and apply UVW maps
* animate and morph a mushroom cloud using morpher
* model some fences using splines + extrude
* create a camera shake using dummy + noise position controller
* create an exploding particle effect using pCloud + pBomb
* add a radial blur to the camera
* add an object blur to the particle system
* add a glow effect to the head of the mushroom cloud
* make your own SFX in Audacity
* play sound in 3ds max
In this tutorial we will discuss in an informal manner everything you need to know about the essential operators and workflow within Particle Flow. We will learn what each setting does inside the basic operators, and create a small mortar explosion, precisely controlled with various methods, as well as completely procedural.