Zagori Epirus Greece.
ZAGORI. A peculiar geographical and cultural unity consisting of 46 traditional villages that are scattered in the east, central and west Zagori. It is geographically located between Ioannina, Metsovo and Konitsa with natural borders mainly Mitsikeli, Gamila and Aoos. The area is a combination of scattered pines and firs, crystal clear waters, traditional stone-made bridges, old manors, beautiful churches and lush vegetation. An area with flora and fauna of the richest in Greece not only in number of species but in rare ones also. Here one meets the bear, deer, wild-goat, jackal and others.
Vikos Gorge. Vikos gorge is at the west side of the National Park Vikos-Aoos and crosses West and Central Zagori. Its length reaches approximately 12 km., and the height of steep cliffs exceeds 1200m. In many spots, while its width is around 100 to 1000m. The gorge is water-made formation and is cut through by Vikos River, the water is seasonal. Flora presents a wide variety of willow trees, sycamores, sphendamos but also flowers and herbs. In earlier days alternative doctors picked up herbs in the area the so- called Vikos-doctors. Skilful walkers can cross the gorge, it takes 5 hours to walk to the Springs of Voidomatis River, in a magnificent landscape, characterised by the grey rocks and the green vegetation. Monodendri Monodendri is one of the most well known traditional settlements of Zagori. It is the home of Rizari Brothers benefactors, their foundation is well known all over Greece lor its great social work. The great manor houses and churches express the economic prosperity of the citizens during Turkish occupation. Recently restored manor of Pantazis hosts occasional exhibitions, while in the outdoor theatre important theatrical and musical performances take place. Right at the centre of the settlement St. Athanasios church dates back to the beginning of 19th C. The icons of the temple are dedications by the Rizari Brothers. In a small distance from Monodendri is Oxia, well-known for the beautiful view over Vikos gorge mostly for its stone-forest. There are huge rocky creations with horizontal layers of stone one over the other that form a natural monument of great geological interest.
Noutsou Bridge or Kokorou. It was built in 1750 by Noutsos Kontodimos. A big single-arched bridge over Vikas. It is also named Kokarou after the owner of a nearby mill who took care of its repair. (5 years and 1223 days ago)