- Camera: NIKON CORPORATION
- Camera model: NIKON D5200
- Exposure time: 10/16000
- Aperture: f/5.6
- ISO: 400
(1 year and 152 days ago)
Located in a small yard given to the Lifeboat Institution by the Harbour Commissioners, at the foot of the Battery Pier with boats having to be man handled across the road in to the water, this was the routine until in 1874 when a slipway was built. A third new station along side the old slipway was built in the 1920's and is the present building and used to house the newly arrived motor powered "Manchester and Salford" so that the boat could be housed ready for use at a moments notice, and remained in service until well after the end of WW2.
In the 1950’s the first diesel powered Lifeboats arrived, with the present boat "Sir William Hillary" named after the Founder of the RNLI, which has just been refitted and has been in service since 1988...
The Lifeboat house is still in use today, and earlier this year 2004 the Boathouse received a new roof to replace the asbestos one which was condemned, and during this time the crew were using two containers as temporary station premises. (5 years and 1079 days ago)