I isolated the source picture(or most of it), overlaying it on the rocks
step 3 of 16
I copied the vine color to do a rough sketch of my ideas
step 4 of 16
This is some "airbrush to give the roughs a little start of a shape.
step 5 of 16
Similar to previous, but different layer showing.
step 6 of 16
I originally attempted to make a brush out of roots, but it didn't realistically work out. So I started making "lumber", as I called my pieces-parts file. Most of the hut and ladders were constructed piece by piece. Some pieces were compound, but many were singles that I shaped into sticks.
step 7 of 16
Some things pieced together.
step 8 of 16
step 9 of 16
Source of people on the beach.
Thanks sarvodaya.org via
step 10 of 16
The lady, her shadow, and the lower set of leaves were added.
step 11 of 16
The leaf pile. Thanks to Andy Colwell via live.psu.edu/image/25941
step 12 of 16
This is my photo of skulls from a 'buckskinners" rendezvous.
step 13 of 16
I wanted to add some type of fire vessel, so I drew this chiminea because I couldn't find a suitable photo with usage rights. The next 2 steps are this process.
step 14 of 16
step 15 of 16
step 16 of 16
So...Shadows were added where needed. I added feet to the chiminea, another patch of leaves, more shadows. I discarded the original background and reopened it in camera RAW, giving it a warmer feel to match the vines.Finally i drew smoke from the chiminea to give the scene more life. Oh yeah, I cut & placed the skulls too.