I started out with a box, that i knifed some lines through and shaped along the blue print (not aligned, and thus not showing in the SBS).
step 2 of 8
I continued the same way (while in sub patch mode), using the Extender Plus tool to extrude the head and moving it into place. I also continued making small adjustments to the body as they appeared.
step 3 of 8
I used Extender Plus in the same way as the head, extruding it to a basic shape. I then used the Knife-tool to divide it on detailed areas (such as knees and steeper curves).
step 4 of 8
To get more details on the head I divided it with the knife tool and then extruded parts such as the eyes, ears, mouth and nose drill with the Extender Plus tool. I then moved it point by point, first to match the blue print and then to look somewhat like it should. To get the correct "bumped" facial aligned I used Spin Quad (rotates the edge between polygons) wherever it was needed.
step 5 of 8
This was the result after about 2 hours of small adjustments all over the model.
step 6 of 8
Because I was about to use the fur plugin SasLite I had to reduce the polygons. So thats why there's a strange triangular along the body on this step.
To be able to somewhat move it out of it's stiff pose on the blue prints I also added Skelegons inside the body. The Skelegons were later converted to bones and set up for the final render.
step 7 of 8
Because the horse mesh was to be the main attraction I only made a quick landscape to put it in by subdividing and juttering a box several times and adjusted a small river on to it.
step 8 of 8
For the final render I made som basic textures for the background and made grass with several layers of the fur plugin SasLite. The water is preset settings, adjusted to fit the scene better. The sky was made with the SkyTracer2 plug in (mainly for the reflection on the water).
The horse body has a Color texture procedural to make variations. It also has a bump map, simulating small hair (copied and adjusted to diffuse and specular as well.
The tail and neck hair (don't know how to translate it) is made the same way as the grass - SasLite fur plug in. I also added a small, hardly noticable fur on the body.
The final render was set with Final Gather Radiosity, medium AA, AS and Box reconstruction filter.