Nelson Cathedral (completed in 1930) is build of grey marble from the west side of the TÄkaka valley. Although TÄkaka marble has been used in a number of public buildings, Nelson Cathedral is the only building entirely faced with this distinctive rock.
In 1851 the first church was erected at a different site. In 1866 the church was named as Christ Church Cathedral. In 1887 a second church was constructed at the current site using much of the same materials of the previous cathedral. In 1925 the current church construction began.
The cathedral has seating for 1,200 people. It is 58 meters in length and 27 meters wide. The tower is 35 meters high.
(5 years and 2320 days ago)