In order to make the shapes I needed, I used CS5 to draw outlines of the guitar body and the shield on it's face. These paths generated were exported to AI. In 3D max they were opened and converted to splines where the different body parts were milled from the shape/s. I also took the UVW/texture map material from the source picture. These maps were corrected by use of the tools available in Photoshop.
step 2 of 8
Here I am converting the shape imported from PS as an AI file. Different modifiers created the surfaces as needed.
step 3 of 8
Adjusting a texture map with the UVW Gizmo.
step 4 of 8
This step is setting up the operands for a Boolean. The hole in face of guitar is made using this Boolean.
step 5 of 8
Finished Boolean action.
step 6 of 8
Details were made using different geometries. Here are some "oil tank" shapes with adjusted polygons. All texture other than mention above are VRay texture maps/material.
The wire frame of my set up. Scene is lit with 2 VRay lights and one standard spot light. I used a VRay camera to take the render area. The major modeling was done by spline modeling or shaping the vertices of a plane...ie. the tuner peg head.