These are the metal textures I used and what I used them for.
step 2 of 13
I began by cutting out the shape of the wings using the pen tool. On separate layers, I used a low opacity paint to color the wings.
step 3 of 13
I used a section of the corragated metal texture to make the pipes. Distort to make it skinny, then warp to shape. The very curvy part I made by picking up the colors from the pipe and using the pen tool and stroke. Dodge and burn to give the pipe a rounded shape.
step 4 of 13
Using the pen tool, I cut out the shapes. Dodge and burn to shade.
step 5 of 13
I used gaussian blur on the bumpy copper texture to smooth it out, then cut out the shapes using the pen tool. Dodge and burn to give them shape.
step 6 of 13
I desaturated and brightened the smoothed copper to make "steel" for the hydralics.
step 7 of 13
Same thing as before...pen tool, warp, dodge and burn, low opacity paint.
step 8 of 13
The hinge was made with a section of the corragated metal texture.
step 9 of 13
I desaturated and brightened the pipe. Warp on the wings.
step 10 of 13
This shows how I made the supports for the wings. The extra bits were erased later. A circle from the "steel" and some dodge and burn to make the bolts. I took a small section from the butterfly and then used match color to make the wings yellow.
step 11 of 13
I used adjustment layers, both brightness/contrast and levels to darken the wings.
step 12 of 13
step 13 of 13
Added text and then gaussian blurred the background.