I started out by making curves for the helmet and the beveled "thing" on the top. I guided the curves along stretched out circles to get the round human head shape. The lines to the left looks like a mess because some of them are my visual reference curves.
step 2 of 6
I tried different ways of Spline Patching the mask without success, so I decided to do the Sub Patch method instead. I started out with a flat box subdivided mask and moved it point by point to look like a rough face. Areas such as the eyes, nose and "goat spikes" are smooth shifted to give more detail. Surroinding polygons are Spin Quadded.
step 3 of 6
To make the mask look attached I beveled a rotated and fitted flat disc into shape and mirrored it to both sides.
step 4 of 6
I then made the helmet part thick and solid by Smooth Shifting it inwards. The face was Freezed into polygons, but I couldn't Smooth Shift it in without frustrating errors. So I simply made it double sided instead.
step 5 of 6
The surrounding was made by Subdividing a flat box, Jittering it into a discreet landscape and making a Subdivided stone in (the blue point).
step 6 of 6
The texture of the helmet was changed to look more like steel, with reasonable reflections.
The stones texture was one of the default stone textures to save time.
The grass was made by using the fur plugin SasLite (two times for variation).
To make the sky, mainly to get natural reflection, I used the plug-in SkyTracer with it's default settings (again, to save time).
To take the focus somewhat away from the scene I added a post process plug-in - "Depth of field blur" - to blur everything behind the stone.
The final scene only has one light, to avoid interference (and save time). I used only one 150% light as the sun. I rendered in Box, medium Anti Aliasing, Adaptive Sampling, with Final Gather Radiosity.