Dodge and burn in photo contests

News and announcements about pxleyes.com

Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:35 pm
Hi photographers,

Dodge and burn is allowed from now on in photo contests.
This means it's allowed in the contests that started today, but not in last week's contests.
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:47 pm
Awesome \M/

Cheers!
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:27 pm
*sigh* why don't we just merge the chopping and photo themes and be done with it. The only changes in the past year or so have just moved in that direction anyway. I'm sure most are very happy with this news... for me... I see myself entering less and looking around more.

"Remember what the Dormouse said..." Jefferson Airplane
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:11 pm
kyricom wrote:*sigh* why don't we just merge the chopping and photo themes and be done with it. The only changes in the past year or so have just moved in that direction anyway. I'm sure most are very happy with this news... for me... I see myself entering less and looking around more.

I don't enter too many photography contests, but way back in the 20th century when I learned black & white photography in art school, dodge & burn were accepted darkroom techniques when developing film. I'm sorta conflicted now, with digital. (%)
Just a quick piece of advice: If you're gonna do it, use adjustment layers. Don't ever work on the original. Oh, and keep it subtle. Don't be a bad example. :-
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:16 pm
Mark I kinda understood why HDR upset you but whats wrong with dodging and burning? The technique has been widely accepted since before you even thought of photography. It's one of the most basic darkroom manipulations. Equating this to chopping is a bit off base don't you think? All you are doing is making up for your camera's limitations. You aren't creating a new image you're just enhancing your image. Adding this change is very minor, most photo sites allow WAY more than this, pxleyes is still one of the strictest sites as far as keeping it as close to how you recorded it. And besides you shouldn't get so worked up about this, next week we're gonna start allowing cut and paste techniques (j/k) :d

Oh, and keep it subtle. Don't be a bad example. :-

Bob is right, the technique like HDR is meant to make slight changes not to completely hack the original.

And besides there are a lot of members who have been doing this all along even though it wasn't allowed, this just levels the playing field for the more honest ones.
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:11 pm
Locks is correct, dodge and burn has been around forever.
This is a common practice just as setting white point and minor adjustments with curves, exposure, warming, cooling etc.
This is not chopping IMO but just some post editing that is widely accepted in many communities.
Thank you MrM and all that made this happen. b-) :YMCOWBOY:
It's a great life if you don't weaken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:20 am
I really must spend more time in the forum, didn't know we could use dodge and burn, Hurray. As others have pointed out it has been used forever in darkrooms.
I enjoyed my darkroom days, but digital is much more fun.
I would like to be an emerging talent! Instead of a submerging Dinosaur!!!

Return to News And Announcements