Premade actions

Talk about anything related to the contests.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:12 am
I am wondering if premade downloaded actions are allowed to be used in contests?
I have personally never used them because I thought they were someone elses work and it would be better to do the effect ourselves from scratch, even if we make our own actions from the steps to use in future contests. At least that way, people reading sbs will learn how to achieve the same effect.

Just curious because if we are allowed to use them, I have a few I would most likely use in future contests without needing to provide an sbs as to how they are done.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:46 am
We can't proof if someone uses an action. IMHO they are good for boring, repeating jobs like adding a signature to a photo or making a simple image from scratch in a Ps job. But I know they can do way more.

The fun part of Pxl, to me, is learning and trying out new things. Having something in mind and finding the way to that end result. An premade action may help in that process but it won't help me learning and understanding that process.

And yes: a mod might ask you to explain how you did something; if you use an action it might be a problem ;)
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:19 pm
robvdn wrote:We can't proof if someone uses an action. IMHO they are good for boring, repeating jobs like adding a signature to a photo or making a simple image from scratch in a Ps job. But I know they can do way more.

The fun part of Pxl, to me, is learning and trying out new things. Having something in mind and finding the way to that end result. An premade action may help in that process but it won't help me learning and understanding that process.

And yes: a mod might ask you to explain how you did something; if you use an action it might be a problem ;)

I know it is impossible to prove someone used an action if they do not say they did.... but....
in the current blown up contest, one entry has an action listed in the sources. That is why I asked.
The action is premade and bought. In my opinion, using a premade action is no different to using a premade background because its still someone elses digital work, isn't it? It's obviously different if you made the action yourself but I doubt anyone who makes an action themselves would need to purchase one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:47 am
skyangel wrote:I am wondering if premade downloaded actions are allowed to be used in contests?
I have personally never used them because I thought they were someone elses work and it would be better to do the effect ourselves from scratch, even if we make our own actions from the steps to use in future contests. At least that way, people reading sbs will learn how to achieve the same effect.

Just curious because if we are allowed to use them, I have a few I would most likely use in future contests without needing to provide an sbs as to how they are done.

That is so horrible if someone uses a pre-made action. That's sorta like "Let me Photoshop this for you BWR. Then you can click a button and say you did it."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:54 pm
BWR wrote:
skyangel wrote:I am wondering if premade downloaded actions are allowed to be used in contests?

That is so horrible if someone uses a pre-made action. That's sorta like "Let me Photoshop this for you BWR. Then you can click a button and say you did it."

I agree with you BWR but I understand what Rob is saying. Very few make an SBS to explain how they actually made their entries so if they use a premade action and dont make an SBS, there is no way to prove it. Not everyone will admit to buying a premade action but personally I would mark an entry lower if they admit to using a premade action and higher if they actually showed in the sbs how they achieved the end result which is achieved by that action. Most effects are not that hard to do and there are plenty of you tube tutorials to teach how to do them. I just think using purchased premade actions is a lazy way out. That's just my opinion.

Return to Contest Discussions/Questions