digital drawing

Talk about anything related to the contests.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:40 pm
Oh, EXCUSE MEEEEE for mentioning 3D entries. I'd just like to say right now, that anyone with half a brain could have figured out the rules for the digital drawing contests. Otherwise there would have been many complaints up to now. It seems like most members who entered could understand the rules just fine. Maybe they could be clarified, but it's not like this is a major issue. Try to relax folks, okay?
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:21 am
Concerning the use of features such as the Marquee tools (rectangular, elliptical, single row and single column) to create a basic geometric shape I can somewhat understand that sentiment. The same goes for using the canned shapes and certain brushes like the leaf and the hard star shaped brushes.

I do however have some concerns as to why some of the brushes approved for use are considered alright while other brushes inherent to Photoshop are not. (Example of a link to one set of brushes that are OK for use: http://inobscuro.com/brushes/view/47/ ) Why are these acceptable and the ones I have highlighted in red (see attachment) are not? Another question I have is, why we can not use the brush controls such as “color dynamics,” “scattering” and “texture?” These all come in handy for erasing issues, texturing and shading.
As for the use of filters I suppose I can go along with that (to an extent) I do not see why things like blur, noise, fiber and clouds cannot be used and or expounded upon. In the same token, why is it alright to be able to use the transform tools? After all a skilled person should not have to rely on such devices to portray proper perspective in a drawing, whether it is the old fashioned way, pencil and paper, or digital pen and canvass.

All in all it seems to me the main goal of a so called “Digital Drawing” in the digital draw contests, is that it should not be a “Constructed” piece of work, very rarely is the contest theme draw a simple box, circle or basic geometry.

P.S the circles drawn in my attachment are stroked paths with a hard round brush…. ;) Relax Bob :|

cc Robvdn in PM
Attachments
example.jpg
example.jpg (128.22 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Trust your captain .... but keep your seatbelt securely fastened.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:25 am
CMYK46 wrote:Oh, EXCUSE MEEEEE for mentioning 3D entries. I'd just like to say right now, that anyone with half a brain could have figured out the rules for the digital drawing contests. Otherwise there would have been many complaints up to now. It seems like most members who entered could understand the rules just fine. Maybe they could be clarified, but it's not like this is a major issue. Try to relax folks, okay?

you are excused :) :YMDEVIL: o.o; I guess I dont have half a brain o.o; @-) but I am happy just the same. :YMHUG: Nonetheless i have received my answer from rob in PM about my particulair question so thats that :). :-BD

About the brushes that chap mentioned, :-?? I dont understand it either you have a point there, perhaps this can be clarified too.`

oh yah chap u have a step by step to show that its really as you say? :)) :P
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:36 am
Just for you ela. Start by turning on the grid. Set some guide lines. Draw a square path with pen tool.Grab the add anchor point tool (from pen tool menu) and add points about half the distance between corners. then adjust these anchor points until you get the shape desired. I started with the corners and dragged them inward then worked the other anchor points until I had a circle shape. The grid and guides are very helpful. :d
Attachments
Circl2.jpg
Circl2.jpg (842.45 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Circl1.jpg
Circl1.jpg (787.13 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Trust your captain .... but keep your seatbelt securely fastened.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:47 am
lol thnx chap!

:))
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:06 pm
Eladine wrote:
About the brushes that chap mentioned, :-?? I dont understand it either you have a point there, perhaps this can be clarified too.`

oh yah chap u have a step by step to show that its really as you say? :)) :P

yes, i agree, and would ad that this confusion leads to the limited # of entries we see in the drawing contest...

8-X
Previous

Return to Contest Discussions/Questions