Comments

Talk about anything you want in here!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:58 am
I do wonder on here why people do not comment more on photos,even if they offer advice or even a bit of critism,its how we learn,Still does and wish more people did,would make this site much better. :-D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:41 pm
photonut wrote:I do wonder on here why people do not comment more on photos,even if they offer advice or even a bit of critism,its how we learn,Still does and wish more people did,would make this site much better. :-D

Hello Photonut,
I very rarely check the forum these days because hardly anyone ever posts anything on this part of the site. I happened to check it today and saw this post so I figured I would reply since no one else has.
I can only speak for myself but the reason I don't comment more on photos is mainly because I am only an amateur photographer myself and I generally can't think of anything helpful to say to anyone about their photos. Photos are not like digital art where people can go back and make changes to their entry unless it's some simple post processing change. Eg, if a horizon line is crooked we can mention that and the photographer could fix that in post processing but if a photo is blurred or not focused in the right area, there is nothing the photographer can do about that unless they want to redo the shoot so what would be the point of telling them its not focused on the subject properly?
I personally think most of the photos on the site are very average so I don't comment on those because I have nothing good or bad to say about them. They are not WOW and they are not too bad either so what else is there to say? If a photo stands out to me and makes me think how nice it looks, I might be inspired to say something nice about it. I hesitate to mention flaws in any photography work in case the photographer gets annoyed or upset about a negative comment. From past experience I have discovered that most people do not take well to negative comments or critique about their work so I have adopted the principle that if there is nothing great to say, it's best to say nothing at all.
Still is very good at critiquing photography because she is trained to critique. Not everyone is trained to do that. She also does it very well with a good balance between her positive and negative comments if any are needed. I admire her work but I tell her that in email anyway so I generally don't bother commenting on the site since she already knows what I think about her work and I know she doesn't get upset if I say something negative about something she has done.
In the end the viewers either like the entries they see or they don't and the end results generally tell the photographer if the work is good in public opinion or not depending on where it ends up in the contest.

I feel like I can't give any helpful advice to people like you and still because your work is better than mine and I have no clue how you can make it even better than it already is.
Keep doing what you do. You do a great job of it. Don't be discouraged just because you don't get many comments. It gets tedious to just write good work on everything we think is good. It might make the photographer feel good about the work but it is not a helpful comment, is it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:03 am
Thanks Skyangel for the reply,slightly agree with you but still think any reply/advice does help and yes do agree that some photos are average and any advice help might not be to the persons advantage.
As for Still think she is a class above but does take advice or critisiam if it helps,of course we all have different viewpoints on things and what one person likes might not suit somebody,i think provided your not rude on here comments can only be a good thing in the long run.

I have commented on peoples work,some people have not replied,which I do think is rude or just said thanks,so feel it was a waste commenting on it.
Overall if people get upset over comments then there not willing to learn,still think its a good thing to comment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:50 pm
photonut wrote:Thanks Skyangel for the reply,slightly agree with you but still think any reply/advice does help and yes do agree that some photos are average and any advice help might not be to the persons advantage.
As for Still think she is a class above but does take advice or critisiam if it helps,of course we all have different viewpoints on things and what one person likes might not suit somebody,i think provided your not rude on here comments can only be a good thing in the long run.

I have commented on peoples work,some people have not replied,which I do think is rude or just said thanks,so feel it was a waste commenting on it.
Overall if people get upset over comments then there not willing to learn,still think its a good thing to comment.

I agree about having different view points and that what one person likes might not be liked by someone else. One mans trash... anothers treasure. :-)
It's all in the perception and personal taste plays a huge part in anyones judgement the end regardless of what they are judging or voting on.
For example, I personally think some of the work I see on here both on photography and photoshop is overprocessed but from looking at the portfolio of the artists, I see that's their style so they must personally like overprocessed work. Those who like the style would give it high marks but I personally dont like it that much so I give it average or below average marks depending on how much I dislike it.
However, in saying that, I would also give a Pollock painting a below average mark if I had to vote on it because I hate his style, yet we all know that some people would actually pay millions of dollars for his work. Should my votes therefore be dictated by what others think its worth or should I be honest about my personal opinion and taste in spite of what others think or say about it? I am only using Pollock as an example because I can't offend a dead man. ;-) However if he were posting on this site, some would most likely vote 90-100 on his work where I would vote maybe 40 or less because there is no way I would hang his work on my wall. Such is life and such is the uniqueness of human perception and taste.
I would not comment on his work if he posted on this site either because I simply don't like it and see no point in telling him so if he were alive. I couldn't give him any suggestions for improvement because my suggestions would be to throw it in the garbage and start again and try to paint something that doesn't look like a kindergarden kid had a fit with a paintbrush. Comments like that would not be appreciated by any artist so I am better off saying nothing about work that I don't like or think is overprocessed.

How would you react if I thought some of your work was overprocessed? Would that help you not to overprocess it? I don't think so because you would not enter it in a contest if you did not like the way you processed it in the first place. So how would a comment like that be helpful to you other than helping you to get to know my personal taste?

When it comes to photography, anyone can take a reasonably good photo these days even with their phones so when I see things like crooked horizons on entries they get below average marks from me unless it is obvious that the effect has some deliberate artistic value.

Regarding people not replying, I think its possible that some don't reply to comments because they simply don't speak English so maybe they don't even understand what has been written. Some don't check their work more than once a week and maybe some don't even read their comments. Ultimately the end results tell us whether the general public likes our work or not. Don't be discouraged if you don't get comments or replies. People obviously have their reasons for doing what they do so just keep doing what makes you happy and don't worry too much about what others do or don't do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:28 am
To critique or not to critique?

I too wonder why more people don’t offer suggestions. Critiquing is a two-edged sword because one also learns as they study other people’s images. My question is why would you NOT critique.

To say one is only an “amateur photographer” ….heck, we are all amateurs, it is a good place to be because we are open to learning, or at least ought to be open to learning. To receive something as simple as a fave is encouraging and tells the photographer they are on the right track. It is so critical to receive feedback on our images otherwise we end up just spinning our wheels in the mud.

Suggestions offered in a caring manner are most always well received. If the image is not in focus the photographer has to know this for in the next shoot they will strive harder to perfect their focus. Your comments impact on the image maker not necessarily immediately on the faulty image they have posted, but on the creator themselves. Because I have been told on numerous occasions about my slanted horizon line I now fastidiously shoot with this always in mind.

There are many many WOW images on this site. Images that are full of creativity, out of the box thinking, varied viewpoints and through those WOW images photographers try new techniques and grow in their craft.

Yes, we all get a bit of a twinge (upset) when we put up our very “LOVELY” photos and then when they get knocked down there is a grinding feeling in our gut, but let us be open about the comments, some are right on the money others are, well?!

Regarding overprocessed work, that boils down to artistic license and to mark accordingly/and comment accordingly is helpful to the artist who may be stuck in an unhealthy niche. It will be up to them to agree or disagree.

With critiquing it is always a good idea to follow the sandwich approach. Give positive, give suggestions on improvement, end with positive. You can’t go wrong.

I am not going to mention anything about “rude” because that would involve another major missive. It is one of the basic things our parents and teachers taught us in our lives was to say “thank you”. Why people don’t say a simple thank you, danke, merci, or a smile on an emoji is beyond me. Sometimes I feel we have lost civility towards each other.

Thank you. :d

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:56 pm
still26 wrote:
To say one is only an “amateur photographer” ….heck, we are all amateurs, it is a good place to be because we are open to learning, or at least ought to be open to learning.

Hi Olga,
You might consider yourself an amateur but in my eyes your work is very professional and trying to critique it is like a student trying to critique a teachers work or find technical mistakes in it when there are hardly ever any. You know I love your work so do you really need to be told that on every single entry?
I learn from people whose work I consider is better than mine. That's why I feel I have very little to offer people whose work is better than mine. Other than tagging a fav now and then or giving a thumbs up, I really don't know what to say. Just saying GREAT WORK all the time makes me feel like Polly the parrot :smile: .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:41 am
I think what Photonut and I are hungering for is constructive criticism, that is all. No matter how much we bellyache about the lack of meat (critiquing) on this site, I doubt if it will come to pass unless the powers that are encourage it with some kind of reward system.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:43 am
still26 wrote:I think what Photonut and I are hungering for is constructive criticism, that is all. No matter how much we bellyache about the lack of meat (critiquing) on this site, I doubt if it will come to pass unless the powers that are encourage it with some kind of reward system.

There is already a reward system on the site. We get points for every comment we make and if its helpful the artists can give us more points...up to 5 by clicking on one of thumbs up icons next to the comment.
Look at "What are activity points" in the FAQ. I have no clue if they are still valid but the idea is there.

In the end we can lead a horse to water but................. people will do what they want to do and won't do what they don't want to do, no matter how much encouragement they get.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:17 pm
I can't believe I've been on this site for almost 10 years. :-O :YMPEACE: As with all "social" type sites, it has its own culture, and as with all cultures, it has evolved. Whether or not people comment and critique is going to be a function of the people on the site. Obviously, we are all individuals, and just like being in a room full of people visiting, some talk more than others. As a professor of Communication, I can tell you that if any comment is going to have any value, it has to be voluntary.

There have been times in the past when there were large amounts of comments, many with feedback, critique, and instruction on technique (although there were far more members back then). While no one is contacting me for gallery shows or museum exhibits, I know that my photography has improved gigantically from what I have learned through the people on this site, whether through explicit comments or not.

If people feel like making a comment - GREAT! Make it. Even if it only says "Nice shot." But if people don't feel like making comments, that's ok, too (and there may be language barriers). But I would also suggest that desired communication is a two-way street. If you see a shot and want to know how it was done, or how an effect was achieved - ASK (politely, of course). If they don't answer, you're no worse off than you were before. But if they do answer, you have new information and possibly a road to a friend. :-BD

"Remember what the Dormouse said..." Jefferson Airplane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:53 am
10 years WOW you have, no doubt seen much change, both in your photography and on this site. I can't believe that come December I will have been here for two years. In that time, I know I have grown in my PS abilities and that is all thanks to the kind members who so readily share of their knowledge and warm and kind encouragement.

Each of us has their reason for being part of this site, to learn, to grow, in our craft, to make friends to have a break from our daily grind, to have fun with like minded people. I just read that in 2013 there were 120 people participating here and today there is one member and 0 hidden and 11 guests.

Doe this mean that pxyleyes could fold?

As to the topic of more involvement by members....well, you can lead a horse to water...but.... :YMPRAY:
Next

Return to General Discussion