Moon Photography

Talk about anything you want in here!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:38 pm
I am very disappointed that we are not allowed to enter double exposures into the moon contest.
I would like to know if there is a double exposure feature on your camera, is the end result considered to be a combination of two separate photos or is it accepted as one photo straight out of the camera?

If accepted as one photo, I am requesting that people who do not have a double exposure feature in the camera may be allowed to do the double exposures in photoshop.

In the end the camera is still processing two photos after all.

Modern cameras do a lot of in camera processing these days so it is debatable as to whether the end result is a shot straight out of the camera or a processed shot since the camera does all the processing instead of the photographer doing the processing.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:36 am
A double exposure is a combination of 2 photos. In the moon contest for instance one could take a photo of a moon and a random one of a house. Neither photos would qualify for that contest but combined they would.

That would not represent a lifelike situation which you captured but a fabricated reality. Therefor double exposure is not allowed...

But we might have a contest for you coming up pretty close... ;)
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:42 am
Fair enough, but if something unrealistic is not allowed, there is at least one photo in the contest which does not qualify. Have you ever seen a bright yellow moon in reality?
The photo is great but rules are rules....

I just think there might be more entries if a bit of photo manipulation was allowed.
It is very possible to manipulate photos and still make them look realistic.

Besides that... The following tutorial tells me that any photos with well focused moon as well as a well focused background cannot be achieved without photo manipulation.

https://photographylife.com/how-to-photograph-moon

If it can, I would love to know how its done.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:29 am
Not all entries in that contest are modded yet...

If you have suggestions on what we could allow in the photo contests I'd be very interested to know them, you can send me a PM over the main site please.
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:02 pm
While we are on the subject of moon photography, can anyone tell me how to get a photo similar to the contest silhouette example on the moon photography contest with just one photo?

My max zoom lens is 55-200mm. I find it impossible to get anything silhouetted against a decent sized moon with that lens.
The only way I can get the moon to look big in my photos is to crop the sky away in post processing.

What amount of zoom is needed to make the moon look big and the silhouette against it look small?
I suspect a very expensive telephoto lens is most likely needed.

With the lens I have, I have no option but to take two photos and resize the silhouette smaller to make it look good against the moon.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:43 pm
I also like to take night photos! See these tips - http://weedit.photos/2017/how-to-edit-night-photos-in-photoshop/
What do you think about this, it's beautiful?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:50 am
WillieLofton wrote:I also like to take night photos! See these tips - http://weedit.photos/2017/how-to-edit-night-photos-in-photoshop/
What do you think about this, it's beautiful?

Great tips Willie. Thanks for sharing.

Return to General Discussion