Leaving Pxleyes due to unfair voting patterns

Talk about anything you want in here!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:36 pm
I like Alan's idea also but see a big problem...
this would mean that we assume that those who do contribute a lot also do vote, sadly this is not the case AND those who do not contribute a lot do not have the expertise, something I dare to question as well.
In the end this would mean we would get a lot less votes on entries by taking the votes away from those who have a lot of VP (and have the knowledge) and assuming that those who actually do enter a lot also vote (which they do not, specially in PS).

When we compare the top members list TP and the top members list VP we do not see a lot of the same names (specially in PS). In the list with VP there's a lot of members I do appreciate their's votes and opinions but the simply do not enter a lot. Does that mean they have no clue what they are talking about? I would say "no", they have a lot of expertise and do help this community in their own way.

"One man one vote":
Don't think this would be a good solution either, Vibeke brings up good arguments. There's a lot of new members voting 100%. We have the system we have now to tackle this kind of votes.

Dividing the VP into the 4 sections:
I see some problems here in drawing and 3D; simply not enough members with a lot of entries. Specially here it would mean that contestants are judging their fellow contestants, in 3D we have a pretty steady (small) amount of members but in drawing it would be a mess I'm afraid due to a lack of a steady amount of contestants.
Personally I would almost suggest to stop those contests and bring them over into the PS contests. That way we even might get some PS contests back as well. An idea I'm pitching with the admin for a while is to start with animation contests, something our 3D members could be happy with as well. I do understand there's a lot of problems with that idea though, o well... :)
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:01 pm
Perhaps I wasn't myself clear, The part of Alans' idea I liked was separating the contest as far as vote power was concerned. I'm not suggesting that you can only vote in the areas you compete, but the vote power is earned separately. I mentioned I had recently started voting in the Photoshop contests, but I'm vary of doing that, I feel my vote power far outranks my knowledge. I won't vote at all in 3D. Perhaps if my vote power for those contest was at a starting level, I'd be game to vote and learn along the way, building up my vote power as I learn.

I do realise resetting peoples vote power,could cause a lot of problems and tears.
Vibeke
I would like to be an emerging talent! Instead of a submerging Dinosaur!!!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:18 pm
I agree with Alan's comment 100%! I also think that the author of the work should not be revealed after one votes on the piece but rather at the end of the contest...whats the point.
Life is too short...It's the longest thing you'll ever do
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:36 pm
friiskiwi wrote:I do realise resetting peoples vote power,could cause a lot of problems and tears.

I'm not against resetting the votepower, personally I've been against the max 5000VP from the start IMHO this gives a select group of members an outrages amount of votes and with that force other voters to follow their example in voting behaviour or otherwise they do not gain VP anymore.
Example: last week I voted on almost all contests and I gained about 10VP. IMHO I do not vote unfair I just do not vote extremely high. But I do not want to whine, I have about 2000VP, an amount I think should be the max in this system.

I just pointed out some problems I see with the suggested alternatives... But if we can work out a better system: I'm all for it!
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:47 am
Nator wrote:I agree with Alan's comment 100%! I also think that the author of the work should not be revealed after one votes on the piece but rather at the end of the contest...whats the point.

Oh, come on...it's quite simple to know who made a lot of entries.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:28 am
Bob while a contest is active how would you know who did the entry you are voting on if it wasn't for the reveal of the author after one votes. I will give you there are a small few obvious styles but you won't know. If you have a special secret of how you could find out PM me. ;)
Life is too short...It's the longest thing you'll ever do
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:18 am
Nator wrote:Bob while a contest is active how would you know who did the entry you are voting on if it wasn't for the reveal of the author after one votes. I will give you there are a small few obvious styles but you won't know. If you have a special secret of how you could find out PM me. ;)

I don't need to PM you. There are at least six members whose entries I can spot a mile away. And as for one member, one vote: Do you really think the vote of a professional artist with a proven record on the site should be equal to a high school freshman with one entry? Maybe the current system could be adjusted, but I don't see how given the suggestions I've read.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:47 am
CMYK46 wrote:Maybe the current system could be adjusted, but I don't see how given the suggestions I've read.

What's wrong with
wazowski wrote:(av. % score) * (% of top 3 entries) / 10 = VP
In that case a member should have at least 7 entries to have VP.

:-?

:mrgreen:
Members and mods are best friends Image

General info for (new) members
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:10 am
wazowski wrote:
CMYK46 wrote:Maybe the current system could be adjusted, but I don't see how given the suggestions I've read.

What's wrong with
wazowski wrote:(av. % score) * (% of top 3 entries) / 10 = VP

The only issue being, there are possibly members who have quite a few entries (many more than 7) and are quite active in voting and commenting, who, have yet to place a top 3 in a contest...this would leave the voting to an even more select "panel" of limited voters...

It could potentially turn-off many newer members and learning members to the site due to being unable to fully participate, possibly for quite a while... :-?
Only a life lived for other is a life worth living - Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:01 pm
wazowski wrote:
(av. % score) * (% of top 3 entries) / 10 = VP

Why not extend the % from the Top 3 to the Top 7 which I assume would add more votes to more members while still mantaining a 7 entry requirement to gain votes from the formula. This may counter the notion that only some elite group is determing the results.

Also if the above formula still appears unfair to those who do not get even into the top 7 you could reduce the current vote power to say 500 or 1000 so members who want to vote have a way to gain extra votes regardless of thier level. 5 to 10 votes seems a fair number to allow. (to me).

Then a member could have 5 or 10 votes gained from just voting in addition to the number gained using wazowski's formula.

The total number of votes gained either by vote power and the formula could be capped at say the current max of 50 or just left to max out at what ever the totals become.

( I would point out that appyling this forumla to Wazowski in photoshop is a bit tough as he is currently at 100% in the top 3 and if I understand the formula correctly would give him 75 votes. Not that I would want to imply this is a bad thing :)) Just to point out any formula could have unexpected results. But as he is both unique in having a 100% finish in the top 3 and a uniquely talented member ^:)^ ^:)^ May a few poor entires would solve this =)) =))
Why is everything always in the last place you look?
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion