Stretching editing

All suggestions to improve PXLEyes are welcome here.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:52 pm
While "Being a good photographer also means being able to take good shots without having to edit afterwards." is a great foundational principle, and I am glad to see it being encouraged here, it would be terrific, and open the doors to the next level of photographic art if you would create some contests that DO allow for selective editing, as well as the more 'decorative' filters... [or, a whole new "photography plus" category]

The gap between 'straight' photography (global, basic editing only) and the digital, collage art of photo-manipulation/shop, is empty in these contests... It's sort of all or nothing. Allowing for selective editing, texturing, lighting, coloring etc. while still dis-allowing the addition of elements not in original photo would give people new things to try and practice, and still remain true to the art of photography... I'm enjoying the contests and the wide variety of activities you have provided for us here, but the inability to EVER selectively work on a picture for submission is feeling increasingly restrictive... Were I skilled enough at photoshopping, I'd just focus there, but I'm not. That shouldn't mean there is then no room for more freedom in enhancing CERTAIN images for some contests...

Just a thought... Thanks.
Soup or Cali. fragileistic... XP, ally dose us.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:27 pm
Something I have been thinking for a long time. Ways to improve a photograph, without making it into something totally different.
I'm with you.
I would like to be an emerging talent! Instead of a submerging Dinosaur!!!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:31 pm
Don't you mean " a whole new Photo MINUS" category? (Just kidding) :d Actually, I think this might be fun once in a while, and we can do that. For example, we've had themes/contests for photography in the past with selective coloring, or other aspects that are typically now allowed.

All you have to do is go to where we suggest contests and describe what you'd like. The more specific, or clear, you make your description, especially about what would be allowed that normally isn't, the better. Then, if enough people vote favorably on it, it would pop up as a contest some time. Hope this helps. :YMPEACE:

"Remember what the Dormouse said..." Jefferson Airplane
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:00 pm
Great! Thanks...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:22 pm
okay... In the suggestion area... VOTE!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:04 am
This is what I would consider, I think more people would participate and the quality of photographs would probably be remarkably better.

All global adjustments already allowed would remain, as would any other editing procedures that are currently being allowed remain as they are.

Then some or all of these selective editing tools be allowed.

1. You may retouch away minor detail flaws like skin blemishes, dust, scratches, and distracting scene elements.

2. No illustrative elements may be added.

3. You may not drastically alter lighting by adding light sources or changing day to night, etc.
You may blend several exposures from the same photographic moment - e.g. HDR, panoramas.
Double-exposures are not allowed.

4. You may not add scene elements that were either not present originally or not in context. Neither may scene elements be replaced or moved in this way - e.g. you can bring back a blown-out sky but only if it is the same sky from that photographic moment.

Just my 2-cents worth.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:26 am
1. You may retouch away minor detail flaws like skin blemishes, dust, scratches, and distracting scene elements.
You may already remove dust and scratches.

2. No illustrative elements may be added.
Also in the rules already.

3. You may not drastically alter lighting by adding light sources or changing day to night, etc.
In the rules already.

You may blend several exposures from the same photographic moment - e.g. HDR, panoramas.
In the rules already.

Double-exposures are not allowed.
In the rules already.

4. You may not add scene elements that were either not present originally or not in context.
In the rules already.

Neither may scene elements be replaced or moved in this way - e.g.
In the rules already.

you can bring back a blown-out sky but only if it is the same sky from that photographic moment.
RAW editing is allowed already.

So I do not see anything what you want what isn't already allowed or not allowed.
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:49 pm
The freedom to use whatever filters and tools that are allowed now, on a SELECTED area, rather than the entire image, is the issue more than which edits comply to the rules.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:08 pm
Samples of selective editing:

[top- original photo]

~ Changing the sign, adding clouds, the tree above the building, and mountain horizon that were not in the original, would NOT be allowed... The wires, the white second story of the building on the right, texture and details, DID exist despite being blown out in the glare of the sun... They were returned to the reality of how they appear... THIS should be allowed...

Agreed?

Two more examples:

Thoughts?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:42 pm
gbbsld - everything you have suggested is the way it is now. This is a good thing. You have some wonderful shots.

awediot - in answer to your previous question. No, I don't do selective editing. Never have, except in a rare theme that calls for it. As for your examples in the immediately previous post - I can do all of that by just having the settings on my camera being correct. No need for selective editing (for me anyway, and I think for a lot of our members)

This'll be my last post on this. Have fun.

"Remember what the Dormouse said..." Jefferson Airplane
Next

Return to PXLEyes Suggestions