EXIF

All suggestions to improve PXLEyes are welcome here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:32 pm
This if only for Photography contests.

Do you think it's possible to ask players to add the EXIF of their entries everytime ?
As we are not only here to challenge but also to learn, I think it would be a good "first step" to see how other people make the settings of their cameras.

Thank you for reading this.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:44 pm
Artifakts wrote:This if only for Photography contests.

Do you think it's possible to ask players to add the EXIF of their entries everytime ?
As we are not only here to challenge but also to learn, I think it would be a good "first step" to see how other people make the settings of their cameras.

Thank you for reading this.

Good info for people (like me) who had no idea what this meant: http://exifdata.com/
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 pm
If this could be done automatically while uploading I don't see a problem with this, if this has to be done manually (mandatory) I see some problems:
- huge extra workload for mods (but that shouldn't be the biggest problem) with a lot of temp removals for members.
- it would be some extra barriers for (new) members to enter our contests, many who are already leaving leave because of the (in their eyes many and strict) rules and guidelines we have already. Having to add those EXIF data will be more reason for less participants I'm afraid.

Making it mandatory is an extra problem, this would rule out for instance scans of photos made on film. Having some extra fields while uploading in which members can add those data voluntary can not hurt I suppose. I agree others can learn from them, but in this case (if mandatory) I feel the cons are bigger then the pros.
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:24 pm
robvdn wrote:If this could be done automatically while uploading I don't see a problem with this, if this has to be done manually (mandatory) I see some problems:
- huge extra workload for mods (but that shouldn't be the biggest problem)
- it would be some extra barriers for (new) members to enter our contests, many who are already leaving leave because of the (in their eyes many and strict) rules and guidelines we have already. Having to add those EXIF data will be more reason for less participants I'm afraid.

Making it mandatory is an extra problem, this would rule out for instance scans of photos made on film. Having some extra fields while uploading in which members can add those data voluntary can not hurt I suppose. I agree others can learn from them.

Why not make posting EXIF voluntary, just as a SBS is voluntary for entries using outside sources in the Photoshop section. I usually try to post a SBS on most of my entries, and I agree that many members could learn from those who choose to post EXIF data with their photos. (Or maybe make it mandatory only for special contests).
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:06 am
Yes, the idea was not to force people to do it. Just, for instance, as you enter the title of your picture, a description, then the tags, why not adding a case called "EXIF" where people could (or not) enter their settings.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:29 pm
I agree with the idea that the EXIF could help members learn. However, I don't think all EXIF should be there as it could impact anonymity. For example, I am (I think) one of the few on this site who uses the best camera company ( :-p ), Pentax. The EXIF would show that, and folks could easily conclude it's one of my shots. I also agree with robvdn that it should be voluntary or it might act as an obstacle to newer, or less experienced members. However, I go to a Pentax site were you can post shots for various things. They have some boxes you can fill out while uploading, all of which are completely voluntary. If you leave any or all of them blank, it still uploads. You can say the camera model (one I would leave out here), lens length, f-stop, etc. We could have a couple of boxes like lens length, f-stop, shutter speed and still not give away anonymity, and still provide the info where people could learn.

"Remember what the Dormouse said..." Jefferson Airplane

Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:04 pm
The EXIF data can be extracted from the uploaded image, but headers vary from camera to camera, so each entry will have different variables displayed. In any case, it's not necessary for people to manually write their exif data.
I will do my best to add functionality to display as much exif data as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:19 am
It's true that all the EXIF data is not necessary.
What I was talking about was only about the setting (viewable in the EXIF) like :
Time exposure, ISO, Focal lenght and aperture.
I think that with those data we'll perhaps learn better ...But of course, people chose or not to add it on their entries.

Return to PXLEyes Suggestions