A couple of suggestions

All suggestions to improve PXLEyes are welcome here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:50 am
Hi all.

I'm pretty new here, but have frequented a few similar sites so please don't think I'm coming from a complete newbie standpoint :)

Anyway, I just have a couple of suggestions and welcome any feedback.

Contest levels
As I said, I'm new here, but not new to the whole 'game'. So there was a Photoshop contest recently I wasn't eligible to enter because of my level, though I had a good idea and, I'm pretty sure, the ability to produce a competitive entry.

So while I understand why there are comps of different entry levels, why not make it that anyone can enter any comp, but only those members with a sufficient level can actually win it? In other words, anyone can submit an entry 'just for fun', and to challenge themselves, but with the understanding that they can't actually win? Is it simply that it would potentially create more work for the mods?

Copyright
This site has BY FAR the most stringent rules concerning copyright I've ever seen. I mean stringent to the point of me sometimes wanting to go elsewhere because it's simply easier. Surely I'm not the only user who has felt this way. And why I really feel the need to question this is because if similar, long-running sites have survived without such exactitude, why not Pxleyes?

Number of contests
If the general ethos of this site is quality over quantity, why have so many concurrent contests? Since joining I've noticed quite a few contests with not many entries, and perhaps fewer contests overall would free up some mod time to deal with the potential increase in administrative workload that other site improvements - hint hint see first two points - :) may or may not generate.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:50 pm
Contest levels
As I said, I'm new here, but not new to the whole 'game'. So there was a Photoshop contest recently I wasn't eligible to enter because of my level, though I had a good idea and, I'm pretty sure, the ability to produce a competitive entry.

So while I understand why there are comps of different entry levels, why not make it that anyone can enter any comp, but only those members with a sufficient level can actually win it? In other words, anyone can submit an entry 'just for fun', and to challenge themselves, but with the understanding that they can't actually win? Is it simply that it would potentially create more work for the mods?

We have 'enter whatever you want' contests every now and then in every type of contest. I think allowing everyone to enter a limited contest will only lead to frustration, (new) members are known for not reading the rules and the description of the contests, this will only add to the frustration and confusion.

Copyright
This site has BY FAR the most stringent rules concerning copyright I've ever seen. I mean stringent to the point of me sometimes wanting to go elsewhere because it's simply easier. Surely I'm not the only user who has felt this way. And why I really feel the need to question this is because if similar, long-running sites have survived without such exactitude, why not Pxleyes?

You ask the wrong question. Why do not more sites respect copyright?
Not respecting copyright is like allowing stealing, why should PXL allow stealing because other sites allow it? Like your mom used to say "if someone jumps of a bridge..."
And PXLEYES is also surviving a long time already, a very long time if I may add. As far as I know about 10 years or so... Used to be Photoshoptalent and Pxlshots.
The lower amount of entries has got nothing to do with our copyright rules, the allover tendency on Photoshop sites is that the amount of entries is going down dramatically.

Number of contests
If the general ethos of this site is quality over quantity, why have so many concurrent contests? Since joining I've noticed quite a few contests with not many entries, and perhaps fewer contests overall would free up some mod time to deal with the potential increase in administrative workload that other site improvements - hint hint see first two points - may or may not generate.

Less contests means also less interest, less choice.
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:37 pm
kcinsti wrote:Copyright

I'm in agreement with Rob here. As for copyright, it exists for a reason...and having to find and use non-copyright images is more of a creative challenge.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:53 pm
this will only add to the frustration and confusion.

I've been taught that if you're managing something and the people you're managing don't get it it's your fault, not theirs ;) are we talking about the confusion of potential members or the frustration of the mods or both? Lol just being obstreperous for the sake of it. :)

Not respecting copyright is like stealing, why should PXL allow stealing because other sites allow it?

I've worked in the design/publishing industry for a long time and I know that the actual 'laws' pertaining to copyright issues are vague at best. If you modify an original image by 20% are you likely to encounter issues pertaining to copyright? Maybe, maybe not, it depends on how you define '20% difference', and how you define 'intent', and how you define who potentially might stand to make profit from the manipulation.

Anyway what I've found particularly annoying with Pxleyes' rules is that every source has to be accompanied with a link directly to a URL that specifically includes the copyright information relating to the source. Other sites are happy with the URL of the image one used. Or no URL at all, just the image.

I assume Pxleyes works the former way because it's easier for the mods to verify the copyright details of each image used. But my point is, is it all really necessary? Honestly I'm not familiar with the idiosyncrasies of web publishing; if a copyrighted image was used in, say, a photomanipulation, but changed very little, and published as a competition entry on Pxleyes, with direct credit not given to the original owner of the image...who could be litigated against as a result? Pxleyes or the member who submitted the image?

I'm not suggesting for a moment that Pxleyes shouldn't comply with copyright rules, just perhaps that an approach to the application of the rules which makes it easier for both administrators and users to manage would be beneficial to all parties, and that such an approach has obviously worked elsewhere so maybe it's not such a crazy idea ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:23 pm
CMYK46 wrote:
kcinsti wrote:Copyright

I'm in agreement with Rob here. As for copyright, it exists for a reason...and having to find and use non-copyright images is more of a creative challenge.

Let's be honest here. Every time you search for an image to use you have a very specific idea to match the picture in your head, and the longer you take to find something equivalent to that the less likely it is that your creation will live up to its potential. Your right-brain says 'I've got a great idea! Get me these images!' and you hope you can hold on to that ideal while your left-brain takes over and does the sourcing; the more arduous the sourcing, the less inspired the art.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:31 pm
kcinsti wrote:Let's be honest here. Every time you search for an image to use you have a very specific idea to match the picture in your head, and the longer you take to find something equivalent to that the less likely it is that your creation will live up to its potential. Your right-brain says 'I've got a great idea! Get me these images!' and you hope you can hold on to that ideal while your left-brain takes over and does the sourcing; the more arduous the sourcing, the less inspired the art.

Who ever said creativity was easy? And I can't tell you how many times I've searched for images that "match the picture in my head" only to find something that worked even better! It's a welcome challenge for me.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:16 pm
Being very new here, I too, have found the rules very stringent. But, in most cases, they are very specific as well. Where I had questions, I asked & got answers. I found a few answers myself by poking through the forum discussions. I actually like the rules here, it weeds out the 'chop spammers' who think that by sheer volume of entries, they'll win. And, the rules make it easier to vote. On this site, I have noticed an exceptional amount of quality. Stiff competition makes for a better 'chopper'.
I'm glad I found this site! I wish I would have found it sooner.
Hi, I'm Janna....and I'm a PxlAddict.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:18 pm
To get the image in your head worked out into a PS work, the best thing to do is use your own sources. Searching sources is always a pain but with bookmarking the pages you got them the whole process of adding source links is not a big deal.

Yes the source links are primarily for mods BUT you would be astonished how many members appreciate them as well. PXL is not only about you showing your skills but also about learning and teaching. The SBS and source links are helpful with this. The limitation of the copyright rules are just extra stimuli IMHO to come up with something good.

I know PXL has got some unusual rules compared to other PS sites but they are the results of years experience and the way admin, mods and members want to play this game here. Through them I'm willing to claim that the learning curve from members is better then on most other sites. I've seen members join with a few skills and evolve in a short time to skillful photoshoppers thanks to the help and feedback from other members and the limitations (read challenges) we set.

We all have entries removed through the copyright rules... so be it, it's part of the game :)
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:04 pm
I Agree with Rob. I like everything as it is here. Rules are clear and fair and I like the proper attention towards copyright.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:48 pm
I am not sure what the problem is here...Regardless previous experiences on other sites, or other businesses, or other situations, PxlEyes does its entry process in its own way.

PxlEyes is the only website that offers PAYING contests in the quantity and variety it does. So the entrants have to make a little more effort to verify and validate the copyright status of sources? Big whoop. The fact that the site HAS managed to exist for a number of years now testifies to the ability of most members to deal with the "stringent" and "hard" validation rules...

And truthfully, just how hard is it to plug in the URL of the site where you get your source image from??? I either keep a Photoshop "sticky notation" on my working entry where I paste URLs for all source images as I go, or I keep a separate Word document with the information (if PS crashed, I still have access to get all my source photos again).

Yes, it takes a bit more effort, but as CMYK stated, the hunt contributes to the creative aspect.
You can always take your own shots, so long as you verify those in your entry. It too, is not that hard...
Next

Return to PXLEyes Suggestions