Entry Score Percentages

All suggestions to improve PXLEyes are welcome here.
User avatar
Posts: 4242
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:11 am
Location: upstate South Carolina, USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:55 pm
With all due respect wazowski I feel that most of our members DO NOT participate when it comes to the voting, that is evidenced by the number of votes on the entries. For example when I vote it counts as 11 votes, with that in mind it only takes 20 people at my VP level to amount to 220 votes. As of late I rarely see any entries that receive over 350 votes. I am all for the scores being higher especially for the top talents, I believe that there are some works here that need to be in the 90's If not 100, yours are among those Wazowski. I firmly believe most of our members are afraid to vote or simply do not want to vote because of the VP thing. If the playing field were leveled(i.e. 1 member 1 vote) then our members would be more inclined to vote and therefore see more of the works presented therefore the learning process would be greater for the newer members, after all isn't that what we talk so much about the learning.
Trust your captain .... but keep your seatbelt securely fastened.
User avatar
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:42 pm
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:03 pm
I'm with Ichapell on this one.
I stopped voting a couple of weeks ago and, to be honest, have no intentions on voting any more. Why should I? My voice doesn't count, I don;t have time to spend HOURS on pxl just to vote for every single entry in a contest in order to gain vp :shock: That's not silly, that's plain stupid. I'd like to vote high on entries I like. But if my voice=zero what's the point. Then what's the point in looking through the contests? I;m now at stage "what's the point in participating in contests".. Wierd policy, NOT user-friendly.. [-X
Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining, but expressing a point of view of many people. Especially the new members, they will be driven away very quickly with this kind of attitude :-Q
User avatar
Posts: 999
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:02 pm
Location: Estonia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:10 pm
lchappell wrote:i.e. 1 member 1 vote

i get your sincere logic, but this kind of system means that someone, and not only one, maybe they have a hundred, haves in finish zero points... do you really want to see that drama, what begins then here in forum? :-b :YMDEVIL: :YMDEVIL:
but VP-system is strange yep...
\M/
Cheers To The Beautiful Times! Image
User avatar
Posts: 4242
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:11 am
Location: upstate South Carolina, USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:17 pm
Stoli4naq wrote:I'm with Ichapell on this one.
I stopped voting a couple of weeks ago and, to be honest, have no intentions on voting any more. Why should I? My voice doesn't count, I don;t have time to spend HOURS on pxl just to vote for every single entry in a contest in order to gain vp :shock: That's not silly, that's plain stupid. I'd like to vote high on entries I like. But if my voice=zero what's the point. Then what's the point in looking through the contests? I;m now at stage "what's the point in participating in contests".. Wierd policy, NOT user-friendly.. [-X
Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining, but expressing a point of view of many people. Especially the new members, they will be driven away very quickly with this kind of attitude :-Q



Thank You Stoli4naq, fille I wish I could understand what you mean... :?
Trust your captain .... but keep your seatbelt securely fastened.
User avatar
Posts: 3722
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:31 pm
Location: Buenos Aires
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:25 pm
Stoli4naq wrote:I stopped voting a couple of weeks ago and, to be honest, have no intentions on voting any more. Why should I? My voice doesn't count

Stoli, up to you, but I'd say give it a try. Maybe not for all contests, but a few. If you vote the way you say, then your vote WILL count. Maybe not straightly after the first week, but it will improve. Up to you if you want to give it a chance ;;) (<--looking sweet at Stoli)




:mrgreen:
Members and mods are best friends Image


General info for (new) members
User avatar
Posts: 999
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:02 pm
Location: Estonia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:52 pm
lchappell wrote:fille I wish I could understand what you mean... :?

if you mean with 1 member - 1 vote that 1 member can give only one vote, then here come many many entries without any vote at all. and many entries will have high vote with only one vote... if i get your think like you mean that 1-1 stuff...
Cheers To The Beautiful Times! Image
User avatar
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:19 pm
Location: Amsterdam
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:53 pm
i still think ppl dont know how to vote.. Hilleke was super in explaining best ways to vote on entries.. she made a nice chart for that so ppl who dont really know how and what to rate something had something they could look at and according to there own opinion vote.

we have a range from 100 to 0

the way i vote is simple.. basicly nearly flawless or flawless entries that really have the wow factor gets a 80% + (thats a very small percentage who gets that...)

nice works which needs approvement with a wow factor and entries that in my opinion lack that wow factor usualy get about 60 - 80 from me

entries that needs more work and used sources that didnt needed much work at all and in my case most 3d renders that have used ready made skins, presets and models get arround 50 %

and the more bad the work gets (and with that i mean with a great factor of improvements that needs be done) i vote lower.

entries with just copy paste and entries that are not fitting the theme i vote 30 % or lower.(that percentage that gets that is not very high either)

thats how i vote globally.

I have noticed many entries that are pulled by users they put up a message that they pulled it.. I usualy vote like 1 % on those.. and later they get there sources n step by step ready they re upload the entry if it wasnt pulled by mods yet...

and then my vote with 1% lays there...

I think maybe ppl only should be able to edit there entry 1 time and thats it... no unlimmited uploads and edditing entries.. If they want improve entries more and edit there work and upload newer editions and get more replies is cool but perhaps that needs a diff section that only the ppl who voted for that particulair entry can see and comment on... that way ppl still get support and the users who have voted early dont get punished for voting early.
User avatar
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:40 pm
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:05 pm
id love to see it go to a jury system , of like 15 "jury " voters or whatever number.

same system, just you have to apply/be selected to become a jury voter , and jury voters don't see who owns a entry until they vote.

either that or voting should be shut off until no more entries are going to be entered.

how many times have you posted an image and see 50 votes or 100 votes within a hour? how can they vote high/low depending on other entries in the contest if they have not seen the other entries yet? lol
User avatar
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:42 pm
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:15 pm
wazowski wrote:
Stoli4naq wrote:I stopped voting a couple of weeks ago and, to be honest, have no intentions on voting any more. Why should I? My voice doesn't count

Stoli, up to you, but I'd say give it a try. Maybe not for all contests, but a few. If you vote the way you say, then your vote WILL count. Maybe not straightly after the first week, but it will improve. Up to you if you want to give it a chance ;;) (<--looking sweet at Stoli)

=)) How can I not love you :d
To be honest, I don't understand why a level 9 member, me, has no voting power by default. Have I not proved that I'm not a ghost of some other account?.. :-? Honestly, I don't have time to vote on every single one of the 50 entries in even one contest - maybe I'm wrong, but in the new rules there was smth about needing to vote for every single entry in a contests in order to get results.. For example, another member, who is always here and has a lot of voting power and who votes for every single entry in every single contest might not like the entry I've voted high on - and what happens? Yep, it's like zero to a hundred or however the points are counted..
And now I'm finding out that the mods are removing votes if they were "too far away from reality :shock: ". Well, I want to have a right to vote a 10% on smth I honestly think is crap and I want to vote a 100% on smth I really like - that monster of yours for instance :d So even if my zero votes might be removed by the mods - really nooo point in voting for me, a waste of time with the current system :YMSIGH:
About the contests - I'm just a bit upset because of the voting system, I know who the people with the high vp are, I've already managed to figure out what sort of entries they like - because, "similar" entries finish first every single time. If I want a high place, I need to make smth "of their season", which sucks... That is why I'd prefer a one guy=one vote system. It's fair. And it will bring back the diversity, cuz dunno how about you, but I'm getting tired of all of these similar-looking entries. And, worst of all, newbies will think "well, this is must be the way to go, if the scarred faces etc. finish in the top 5, this must be the only true beauty". And it is not, you know it, I know it, but earlier I also used to think that.. now that I'm "older" I came to realise that all this was a fake! And that I need to find my own style and work with my own ideas. Well, these don't sell to the Big Voters around here, so they automatically must go to the recycling bin?.. I don't think so, there are many people out there, who would LOVE smth that makes some the big guys around here develop a rash just from looking at it :lol: So, with the things the way they are, I don't find it fair to participate..
I did my little test: submitted something that took me half an hour to make, including the uploading time. Waz, u actually made a comment how to make the entry at least a little bit more interesting :)) - I didn;t reply cuz I hated it to bits. But, just as I thought, it came in the top five - second actually! @-) And it was crappy, believe me! But because it was pretty and underwatery with, seemigly, a lot of work involved, it got to the top. Silly thing to have done, but I just needed to be sure - I haven't participated in a contest ever since :YMSIGH:
I, most probably, will - cuz I love u guys and I really love chopping.. :ymblushing: When I have enough time not to care at all .. or maybe I just need to get drunk and going!! =))

Sorry for the stream of consciousness, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.. :YMSIGH:
User avatar
Posts: 4242
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:11 am
Location: upstate South Carolina, USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:58 pm
Personally I vote on each entry for what they are (a one on one basis)...I have seen the best and that is my guidepost for judging entries. I do not nor have I ever voted on the entries according to what contest they are in. This is a recipe for disaster because their are just a hand full of people here that are in what I call the professional league and those people would most likely blow the other contestants away if they entered a contest and the VP to get is gotten by voting for the winner per contest. I am one that votes as the week progresses and try to do it with fairness and without prejudice. The reason I use this tact is for the simple fact that voting is very time consuming if you wait until the submit ion time has ended...no one wants to spend their weekend time sitting at the monitor trying to out wit the other voters just for the sake of vote power. Fille in answer to your statement I am saying that no member will ever loose vote power we all should have the ability to cast 1 vote only... not 10 not 20 not 30. There are over 3000 registered members, out of that I venture that maybe 25% of those are active and of this number only about 10% vote whats the point in voting and or participating if you have ZERO vote power. Yes Hilleke did a fine job of explaining one way of determining how to score an entry, on the other hand this in it's self maybe why the scores consistently come in at a mediocre level. Maybe it's time for those guidelines to be reviewed as it seems the main problem with the votes is that some folks feel the scores should be higher lets open it up and encourage higher votes for quality work and not worry about how low to vote for what you perceive as crap. Not everyone sees art the same. I do agree with there being jury voters in case there is a tie...but in the same token I do not think that jury voters need to be moderators, as moderators are only human and have their friends also...and they can see who's entry is what...nothing personal to my moderator friends. I wonder what if anything is going to be done to encourage people to participate in the voting process...the vote medals are like a badge of honor but only if you have some vote power to throw around.
Each member should be guaranteed 1 vote...who's to say that people do not know how to vote they vote for what they like...if it's a good entry it will win.
Trust your captain .... but keep your seatbelt securely fastened.
PreviousNext

Return to PXLEyes Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 1 guest

cron