Entry Score Percentages

All suggestions to improve PXLEyes are welcome here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:53 am
I always wondered why the scoring range is so limited. Most competitions have scores ranging from 45% up to 65%. Best score now is 79%.
I would think that the best score should be around 100% and the worst somewhere around 10%. But maybe its a bit harsh to give someone 10%, then again some entries show lack of willingness to give it a real try.
But start voting that way would effect my votepower, because some entries I would vote 30% above, some 30% under.
Also remarking that if everybody would start voting with a wider range it would effect all the entries up to now. But since you can say the site is still pretty new, it could be done.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:57 pm
Sander wrote:I always wondered why the scoring range is so limited. Most competitions have scores ranging from 45% up to 65%. Best score now is 79%.
I would think that the best score should be around 100% and the worst somewhere around 10%. But maybe its a bit harsh to give someone 10%, then again some entries show lack of willingness to give it a real try.
But start voting that way would effect my votepower, because some entries I would vote 30% above, some 30% under.
Also remarking that if everybody would start voting with a wider range it would effect all the entries up to now. But since you can say the site is still pretty new, it could be done.

cause ppl now a days dont know how to vote...

for example my something fishy entry scored a 7.7 last year in the competition, it had about 27 comments and got to 2d place...

now i entered it and it barely got a 5,6 score.. and got 7th place... my work didnt change and I dont think the competition is better then back than.

back in the days we worked hard to get the voting range up and we accomp[lished that little by little I dont know how come its this low again...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:22 pm
people got use to safe voting 45-75 . it anywhere out of that range and chances are you would not gain much vote power.

Then on top of that, i read mods will remove votes that are out of the range.

say an entry had an avg of 60 with a high vote of 75, then there is one vote for 100. from what i read back on the old form, that vote would be removed in an attempt to prevent people from bumping scores.

so everyone should adjust there voting behavior.

another thing. when the highest ever score on the new site is 79, you really use that as your baseline. if an entry is not better than the BEST it has to score less correct? so it really closes the range of the possible score outcome.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:23 pm
EvanMugford wrote:

say an entry had an avg of 60 with a high vote of 75, then there is one vote for 100. from what i read back on the old form, that vote would be removed in an attempt to prevent people from bumping scores.

thats not really true at all..

I know so because i have been a moderator here for a long time. we DID removed votes but not like you said... after all everyone is alowed to vote according to there own opinion.

when like 90% of the ppl vote 30 - 40 % and 1 person votes 90% then theres obviously something wrong.. still we wouldnt just remove that vote... we would remove it after further investigation would show us that that person was only voting on certain entries from certain ppl in that range and low on good entries.. we did evaluated ALL the votes together and if the voting seem not fair we would remove it ofcourse the other way arrounds same thing..

thats how it went when i was a moderator.

and MOST of those votes removed where from ppl with 0 votepower allready so that rly did not made a difference..
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:04 pm
ahh ok, thanks for explaining that, i didn't really understand it like that :)

Eladine wrote:
EvanMugford wrote:

thats not really true at all..

I know so because i have been a moderator here for a long time. we DID removed votes but not like you said... after all everyone is alowed to vote according to there own opinion.

when like 90% of the ppl vote 30 - 40 % and 1 person votes 90% then theres obviously something wrong.. still we wouldnt just remove that vote... we would remove it after further investigation would show us that that person was only voting on certain entries from certain ppl in that range and low on good entries.. we did evaluated ALL the votes together and if the voting seem not fair we would remove it ofcourse the other way arrounds same thing..

thats how it went when i was a moderator.

and MOST of those votes removed where from ppl with 0 votepower allready so that rly did not made a difference..
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:47 pm
Let's make it real simple...each member has "1" vote do away with the vote power and encourage all members to vote. \M/
Trust your captain .... but keep your seatbelt securely fastened.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:03 pm
Eladine wrote:when like 90% of the ppl vote 30 - 40 % and 1 person votes 90% then theres obviously something wrong..

this will be logical...
but this will be not true...
you will talk anything about that how you try to be honest to look technique or whatever... voting is always emotional - and if i think i know because of style who is author of picture, and i think i know how or what author are thinking - i'm still emotional, even, if i give low vote. and others give hight. and even if i know they do that. or was it vice versa... :-b 8-}
ah who cares... :mrgreen:
as long as in the game is competition and at least two persons, here is not only one understanding... better listen to the music! \M/
Cheers To The Beautiful Times! Image
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:52 pm
Eladine wrote:cause ppl now a days dont know how to vote...

So it seems. :-? b-)
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:04 pm
K.I.S.S. 1 member 1 vote no vote power involved, encourage all members to vote. :((
Trust your captain .... but keep your seatbelt securely fastened.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:39 pm
Sander, the final score for an entry is a result of a whole bunch of votes. Means quite a couple of opinions. And well, people can vary on what's well done/good/funny/bad/ simple/ original/etc. That way the one would give 55% on an entry and another 75% (with the final score of 65%). General speaking you càn say that the more original or well crafted entries get a higher score -of course there are always exceptions. With the new introduced vote system, voters are encouraged to have a closer look at these socalled "better" entries before just give it a vote and think if this maybe shouldnt deserve a bit higher than you'd normally give. Again, it's still up to you what you consider a high or low vote or "better" in the first place. But if you think that certain entries would deserve higher (for the "good" entries) or lower (for the "bad" entries) than the final entry score, then it would be only good for your VP, since you're encouraged to vote like that.
Votepower is there for a reason. Without insulting anyone, but if *everyone* would get the same VP, the more inexperienced members would vote high (or low) on every entry without even exactly knowing why they vote like that. If you have a good feeling of what should end high or low, you get more VP for that. Maybe not everyone agrees with this kind of voting, but personally I think it's the best so far of the alternatives there can be.

Eladine wrote:cause ppl now a days dont know how to vote...

That's your opinion
Eladine wrote:back in the days we worked hard to get the voting range up and we accomp[lished that little by little I dont know how come its this low again...

I think "back in those days" is already 2 years ago. No clue why the average votes were so much higher then, you can say that people's taste change or just get more picky. You can also say that 2 years ago people maybe voted too high for certain entries, who knows...

EvanMugford wrote:Then on top of that, i read mods will remove votes that are out of the range.
say an entry had an avg of 60 with a high vote of 75, then there is one vote for 100. from what i read back on the old form, that vote would be removed in an attempt to prevent people from bumping scores

As Eladine said, you're free to vote what you think is best suitable for an entry. It would be different if it turns out that you try to cheat. Let's say, you'd vote low for all entries and high for one which happens to be a good friend or whatever relationship you have with such person. Or vote very low because you also have an entry in the same contest. Things like that. Btw, if people tend to vote 60-70% on an entry and you 40%, then that doesnt have to mean a thing (like that you'd cheat). There's a bit more involved.

Bottomline: vote what you think an entry deserves, dont worry too much about votepower or other people's vote :-)

:mrgreen:
Members and mods are best friends Image

General info for (new) members
Next

Return to PXLEyes Suggestions