Revising the TP system

All suggestions to improve PXLEyes are welcome here.
User avatar
Posts: 3987
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:50 am
Location: Celle, Germany
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:49 pm
Not to clutter up this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4499 but it is related... one of the thoughts behind it is to raise the quality of the entries (less opportunity to enter makes you think about putting a better entry in = less snapshots)

Revising the TP system could raise the quality of the entries: reward TP depending on scores and stop rewarding the top 7 just because an entry made top 7.
I see in photo a lot of good photos with nice scores who do not get any TP because it did not make top 7 while a drawing entry with a 52% score gets a 2nd or 3rd place and scores a lot of TP with that. You could for example say that an entry needs at least a 60 score to win any TP. So if an entry scores 58 and ends up on a 3rd place... to bad no TP.

How these TPs will be divided is up to the admin but I can think of something like getting 50% of your score as TP no matter how high you end up and maybe reward the top 7 entries still with some extra TP, say 20 points for a 1st place 15 for 2nd, 10 for 3th, 7 for 4th, 5 for 5th, 3 for 6th and 1 for 7th place.
This means that in a contest with a lot of good entries a lot of entries will earn TP just because they are good.

This means if you end up 3rd with a 70 score you get 10 + 35 = 45 TPs while a 3rd place with a 60 score gives 10 + 30 = 40 TPs

This way you'll have to make good entries to get TP (and level) instead of entering a BS entry on Friday because there's just 3 or 4 entries and cheap TP to be won.
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.
User avatar
Posts: 3193
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:47 pm
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:38 pm
robvdn wrote:Not to clutter up this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4499 but it is related... one of the thoughts behind it is to raise the quality of the entries (less opportunity to enter makes you think about putting a better entry in = less snapshots)

Revising the TP system could raise the quality of the entries: reward TP depending on scores and stop rewarding the top 7 just because an entry made top 7.
I see in photo a lot of good photos with nice scores who do not get any TP because it did not make top 7 while a drawing entry with a 52% score gets a 2nd or 3rd place and scores a lot of TP with that. You could for example say that an entry needs at least a 60 score to win any TP. So if an entry scores 58 and ends up on a 3rd place... to bad no TP.

How these TPs will be divided is up to the admin but I can think of something like getting 50% of your score as TP no matter how high you end up and maybe reward the top 7 entries still with some extra TP, say 20 points for a 1st place 15 for 2nd, 10 for 3th, 7 for 4th, 5 for 5th, 3 for 6th and 1 for 7th place.
This means that in a contest with a lot of good entries a lot of entries will earn TP just because they are good.

This means if you end up 3rd with a 70 score you get 10 + 35 = 45 TPs while a 3rd place with a 60 score gives 10 + 30 = 40 TPs

This way you'll have to make good entries to get TP (and level) instead of entering a BS entry on Friday because there's just 3 or 4 entries and cheap TP to be won.

Good idea...makes sense to me! :-BD
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Site Admin
Posts: 813
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:20 pm
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 pm
Good idea indeed... I don't see any disadvantages in using this method. Especially in drawing and 3D contests, it often happens that 5 min entries finish in the top 7, just because there are only 7 or less entries. It is also possible that multiple entries score way above average and still don't get any TP because they didn't make it into the top 7...

So, unless someone has a valid reason against it, I'll change the TP rewards so that they're based on final score of the entry and not on its ranking.
User avatar
Posts: 3193
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:47 pm
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:47 pm
mistermonty wrote:Good idea indeed... I don't see any disadvantages in using this method. Especially in drawing and 3D contests, it often happens that 5 min entries finish in the top 7, just because there are only 7 or less entries. It is also possible that multiple entries score way above average and still don't get any TP because they didn't make it into the top 7...

So, unless someone has a valid reason against it, I'll change the TP rewards so that they're based on final score of the entry and not on its ranking.

Thanks, that should really improve things!
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Site Admin
Posts: 813
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:20 pm
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:49 pm
CMYK46 wrote:
mistermonty wrote:Good idea indeed... I don't see any disadvantages in using this method. Especially in drawing and 3D contests, it often happens that 5 min entries finish in the top 7, just because there are only 7 or less entries. It is also possible that multiple entries score way above average and still don't get any TP because they didn't make it into the top 7...

So, unless someone has a valid reason against it, I'll change the TP rewards so that they're based on final score of the entry and not on its ranking.

Thanks, that should really improve things!


I'm surprised you agree on change, but I'm glad you're behind it! :)
User avatar
Posts: 3193
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:47 pm
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:50 pm
I'm all for change...when it makes sense! ;)
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:13 am
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:20 am
Would certainly improve things -- especially where an entry missed the top 7 by just 0.01.

One slight change would be award the bonus points for the top 7 on a sliding scale

as robvdn stated
and maybe reward the top 7 entries still with some extra TP, say 20 points for a 1st place 15 for 2nd, 10 for 3th, 7 for 4th, 5 for 5th, 3 for 6th and 1 for 7th place.

Only where there are 7 or more entries.

If there are only 5 entries the bonus point would stop at 5 for the top entry etc
Why is everything always in the last place you look?
User avatar
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:01 am
Location: Central New York
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:59 am
I'm a little confused (nothing new). I thought this thread was basically advocating change because there are good entries unrewarded simply because they didn't make it into the top 7.

Revising the TP system could raise the quality of the entries: reward TP depending on scores and stop rewarding the top 7 just because an entry made top 7.
I see in photo a lot of good photos with nice scores who do not get any TP because it did not make top 7


Personally, I have 27 entries that finished 8th, and even more that finished 9th. How would this plan "reward" those? It sounds like it still gives TP to the top 7 entries, but just divides the points differently. That may be fine, but why would this new way be better?
.

"Remember what the Dormouse said..." Jefferson Airplane
User avatar
Posts: 1902
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:18 pm
Location: Celle/Germany
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:03 am
kyricom wrote:Personally, I have 27 entries that finished 8th, and even more that finished 9th. How would this plan "reward" those? It sounds like it still gives TP to the top 7 entries, but just divides the points differently. That may be fine, but why would this new way be better?


Because it would depend on the score then and not on the place (at least not completely anymore, IF the normal talent points will still be rewarded for the top 7).
This entry from you: http://www.pxleyes.com/photography-pict ... tions.html made the 15th place, but it had a score of 64.5%. That means, that you'd get around 32 talent points for it. (IF it will be made, like Rob suggested it, that entries, that score over 60 get half the talent points of the score).
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star.
Friedrich Nietzsche
User avatar
Posts: 3987
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:50 am
Location: Celle, Germany
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:59 am
kyricom wrote:Personally, I have 27 entries that finished 8th, and even more that finished 9th. How would this plan "reward" those? It sounds like it still gives TP to the top 7 entries, but just divides the points differently. That may be fine, but why would this new way be better?

It is basically very simple: score over 60% and you get half the score as TP no matter how high you place, to keep the contest idea you can earn TP on top of that if you place top 7 (still need over 60 to get those top 7 TP).
In some cases this means more then 7 entries will earn TP (hopefully) because they score over 60 and in other cases it would mean just 2 or 3 entries in a contest earn TP.
All depends on the magical border of 60.

It's up to the admin to decide to go for 60 as a magical number or 58 or whatever; also the 50% of your score as TP is just an example this can be higher /lower.
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.
Next

Return to PXLEyes Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron