Increasing Votes and Comments

All suggestions to improve PXLEyes are welcome here.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:11 am
I was recently on another photography site and I really liked the way they encouraged people to vote.

The way it works is that for every image you wish to enter you need 10 "points." You cannot enter an image unless you earn these points or purchase them.

Obviously no one wants to purchase entries so they all earn them.

You earn 1 point each time you vote on an entry or leave a comment.

This creates entries which have lots of votes and comments.

The only downside is that it forces members to be more active parts in the community. I think it would be a great idea for pxleyes.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:53 am
The problem with forcing members to vote is that a lot of people will give random votes just to get enough points to enter, it is pretty easy to give 10 random entries just a '100' or a '10'.
The idea is nice but I do not think it will improve the general voting and scores.
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:44 pm
We could do it only on comments then.

Think about it, if submitting 1 entry means writing 10 comments. Then every entry will have on average 10 comments written on it.

To get ride of thousands of "Good Luck," "Nice," "Good Work," Comments then their could be a requirement of a 10 word count to earn a point.

This would encourage people to write full and interesting comments. Which in turn would mean more time spent on the website. Higher Traffic. More comments being made on entries which would in turn encourage members to create more entries and to improve their entries. It would also increase the standing of pxleyes in google searches since their would be more traffic and word combinations. It would also provide more feedback for those who are learning.

Unfortunately it would be a larger drain on the Mods and create more tension between those members who are not always very political in the way in which they comment.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:56 pm
Dunno if you've noticed, but such a small percentage of members even bother to comment, let alone make a perceptive comment, that this idea just isn't practical, IMHO.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:48 pm
I have noticed, in fact that is exactly why I think this will be a good idea. Because it will mean more comments and more meaningful comments. I used to attempt to comment on every entry and say something useful, whats why I personally have 23,000 words commented which is much higher than most. I stopped commenting because I felt it was disproportionate what feedback I was getting back to what I was giving out and felt it was unfair. This idea would level the playing field.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:33 pm
Ory wrote:I have noticed, in fact that is exactly why I think this will be a good idea. Because it will mean more comments and more meaningful comments. I used to attempt to comment on every entry and say something useful, whats why I personally have 23,000 words commented which is much higher than most. I stopped commenting because I felt it was disproportionate what feedback I was getting back to what I was giving out and felt it was unfair. This idea would level the playing field.

I disagree again. You can't make people comment, and judging by my experience few members are even capable of making credible comments. You say you've got 23,000 words commented, which I think is great! I've got 91,505. I try to help members correct obvious flaws in their entries, mostly dealing with light, shadows, perspective & proportion. I just call it like I see it when commenting on an entry. If the author takes offense, I don't care. My observations are still valid. My point is, I comment to help entries improve, except for the occasional sarcastic comment on an entry that's just obviously silly. So sue me. At least I care enough about the site and helping authors grow. And believe me, I've accepted positive criticism from many members on my own entries, and I thank them for helping me improve.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:55 pm
That's actually a pretty good idea Ory! Never thought about this.
We could give every new member a few participation points...

How about we use the activity points for this? They don't really have much purpose atm...
So reset all activity points to 100 for example... and give points for commenting, voting and thumbing up comments.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:45 pm
:shock: :shock: :shock:
You want to reduce my 818571 activity points to 100?! :YMSICK: :|
Perhaps you can better do that with the vote medals. I know 2 somebodies who'd love to see that :- :-)

:mrgreen:
Members and mods are best friends Image

General info for (new) members
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:55 pm
Maybe starting a new counter is a better idea, of all the existing counters there's already members doing their best to earn point for. And with starting a new counter we can also give it a to-the-point name.
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:09 am
wazowski wrote::shock: :shock: :shock:
You want to reduce my 818571 activity points to 100?! :YMSICK: :|
Perhaps you can better do that with the vote medals. I know 2 somebodies who'd love to see that :- :-)

:mrgreen:

And which members might this be (LOL)

I would not really have an issue with loosing either votes medal (Shuddering as I lie) or the Activity points but --- starting a whole new count seems the best idea

requiring a minimum word would get rid of "Nice one" etc but might spawn a pleura of "Wow wow,wow,wow wow,wow etc Would this mean a comment MOD -- as if they don't have enough to do.

I would like to see more useful comments but at the same time know that just voting is a time consuming task.
Why is everything always in the last place you look?
Next

Return to PXLEyes Suggestions