Mentor System

All suggestions to improve PXLEyes are welcome here.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:50 am
This is not a new suggestion, it exists as a feature in many on-line communities and games. As the name says and well, the mentor system has as it's main goal to increase the skills of an apprentice, for that a master is required. So there's my suggestion:

This could apply to every area in pxleyes: Drawing, 3D, Photography and Photoshop. Each section has it's own masters, demarcated by levels (could be for example everyone above level 20), who will have the possibility to become a mentor. And the first three top ranks of each could have a distinction such as Elite Mentor. As for the apprentices, it works on the opposite way, anyone below level 20 could apply to become a master's apprentice.

How would this work?
The system is simple in theory. There would be a button in each member's profile with an indicator of it's status regarding this matter. If that person has no mentor or apprentice yet, the button would work as an apply/request. If the process has been accomplished, the button would indicate the mentor/apprentice. For example in a mentor's page it would show his/her apprentice: mentoring "name".

Of course this could work perfectly via p.m. but for a more accurate system it should be something public, since i suggest prizes for the mentors (if they actually help as they're supposed to). This is probably the hardest concept, perhaps a smaller version of the profile comments in a new sub section called Mentor System. In here the apprentice could clear his doubts, ask specific questions or advices... and for every satisfactory answer from the mentor would give him her points (depending on the apprentice's rate). This is a very interesting system, many different things could be made to turn it into a completely unique feature... There could even be a mentor quality bar like the reputation one that we had awhile ago. This would work by rating every answer and then the bar gives a media.

Anyway, i suggest a reward of talent points, something symbolic of course, and to avoid exploits there should be a limit per week or per month. Example: For every helpful answer marked by the apprentice it would worth 1 point. The maximum you could get per week, 10 sounds reasonable. Of course the number of questions are limitless, but after the 10th it won't be rewarded anymore.

And well, every time a part decides to break up they should be able to or once the apprentice reaches the minimum level to become a mentor, it automatically ends the process.

And the benefits?
There's quite many benefits for everyone... first of all it would be a fresh and unique feature for the community, then it would promote interactivity between members and establish a more personal support in terms of skills and techniques - a clearly incentive to become better and be capable to produce entries with a better quality. Also, the mentors get to share their knowledge and still get some rewards for helping novices.

That's all! Cheers. (*)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:07 am
Sounds like a good idea, I like the idea of interacting with other members to assist in their skills.
I personally would be happy to do it without reward, a simple thanks as has been done in the past is all I would be happy with. I have helped any member who has asked me for assistance but having someone as an "apprentice" would be good so that you can see how their skills grow under a bit of personal guidance.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:48 pm
If it's all voluntary it sounds like it could be cool - as long as no one could force grumpy curmudgeons (like me) to do it. (although I'd be happy to offer opinions on anyone's entries - and usually do) :-p

"Remember what the Dormouse said..." Jefferson Airplane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:33 am
solkee wrote:Sounds like a good idea, I like the idea of interacting with other members to assist in their skills.
I personally would be happy to do it without reward, a simple thanks as has been done in the past is all I would be happy with. I have helped any member who has asked me for assistance but having someone as an "apprentice" would be good so that you can see how their skills grow under a bit of personal guidance.

Agree with solkee, it's a great idea, not sure if rewards other than seeing somebody improve is needed. I always love it when I have made a suggestion about a change to a photo, and then find that photo does well in the contest.
I would like to be an emerging talent! Instead of a submerging Dinosaur!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:48 pm
I think this would be a good idea. I like the idea a lot. It would bring even more a sense of community to the site. One of the best things about pxleyes is that it is a place where people know each other. We learn, we chat, inspire and are generally friends with each other.

Since I mentioned that the community is one of the best parts of pxleyes. This would be a great way to increase that and bring people closer together. I would happily be a mentor for some things and would also need mentoring for other areas.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:24 am
Wonderful idea...I of course would be very interested in helping out anyway I can. Thank you for the great suggestion.
Only a life lived for other is a life worth living - Albert Einstein
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:29 am
I thought you already did James (I mean Master).
My photography has improved immensely (but still has a long, long way to go) under your guidance. ;-)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:12 am
solkee wrote:I thought you already did James (I mean Master).
My photography has improved immensely (but still has a long, long way to go) under your guidance. ;-)

Thank you Robert :oops: ...I didn't want to mention any names, but yes...I guess I have already started (unofficially) Mentoring several members over the past 2 years behind the scenes, and it has been wonderful and extremely satisfying to see your photography and others improve greatly within a short period of time. For those who don't know...the reason I have so many 1v1's (over 190 and still counting) is that many are actually 'projects' or lessons to my "students" LOL...

Regardless...it's a wonderful program to be brought into the light and get more members involved, as PXL is a 'teaching' community, I think this is an excellent way to further that goal.
Only a life lived for other is a life worth living - Albert Einstein

Return to PXLEyes Suggestions