Voting system!

All suggestions to improve PXLEyes are welcome here.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:57 am
Hi MM and everyone.

I am not sure if my idea is good for voting but I will give it a shot.
Now I come every Saturday or Friday night to vote because all the pictures will be up for voting and no new ones in a specific contest, I can't see any other picture but the picture I am voting on, sometimes I feel one is better than the other and I vote 90 per say but you scroll down to find there is another better and I vote 95, then 100 then no more higher votes, the reason I am saying that it is because there are too many shots to vote on and I can't see them all to make up my mind on witch is better and witch is not, I don’t have time to see all the pictures first and then go and comment and then vote.

So this is my idea:

Why don’t you put the pictures up for voting next to each other? Like 10 in a row and the voting meter under them as the comment box as well like so:

Pic1"space" Pic2"space" Pic3 Pic4 Pic5 Pic6 Pic7 Pic8 Pic9 Pic10

Vote
Comment

And then another row of pictures and voting and commenting under, now I know the pictures will look in a way small this is why you can always make “click to view” but without leaving the page.

I hope I did explain the idea in a good way, I know my English is terrible to some people, sorry!

:smile: :smile:
Mother of 3 wonderful kids, they fill my life with joy and pride everyday, they are the love of my life and my Sun!
http://www.jcjcballoons.com/
http://on.fb.me/lyzz0V
https://twitter.com/#!/JCJCBalloons
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:31 am
Not the solution you want, but is it maybe an idea if you click on one of the entries and then scroll down till you see all the entries from that contest?
Then at least you can have a small look of how all entries look like (but of course click on the thumbnail image to see a better quality entry).
Just a suggestion :-)

:mrgreen:
Members and mods are best friends Image

General info for (new) members
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:54 am
It is like having them all on one page wazowski, you know, you look around, you click on the ones you want to give them high votes and on the ones you want to spread the other votes on, this way we might have more people getting more vote power, for me, I vote so high my vote power is always dropping, I love all the pictures and sometimes, believe it or not, I forget my votes and I just keep voting, 90, 90, 90 :oops: without knowing, don’t tell anyone but it is AGE ;-) :shock: , you forget stuff :)
Mother of 3 wonderful kids, they fill my life with joy and pride everyday, they are the love of my life and my Sun!
http://www.jcjcballoons.com/
http://on.fb.me/lyzz0V
https://twitter.com/#!/JCJCBalloons

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:26 pm
Just to add up on suggestion... at first, I thought, in a My stuff - contest - my vote menu option, all were stated in the list "needs my vote"... really needed my vote... Sorry I misunderstand, so I vote as possible as I can, everything on my list that needed my vote and I thought it was my obligation to vote whether i like it or not (even the guideline says don't vote if you only like them, but which one shall I follow? the vote needed as it was said or the guidelines? so i vote everything in the list) also my problem is I don't understand too how to vote, what are the criteria of voting? to leave confusion on voting... may i suggest, what if we have to put some criteria on voting...
example... show the boxes ___ color, ____ style ... instead of boxes 10%, 20%,30%....100%, ___custom vote. (we do know how to put numbers aren't we? so i thought why there were options to click of 10% 20%.... give me also confusion)
example of criteria:
maximum 10% on the color
maximum 20% on style
maximum 10% likeness
maximum 10% great impact
maximum 10 % on clarity
and so on and so forth gives total of 100%.
thus and even there will be new entries, if we will vote according with the criteria and not with our own evaluation (by the way we can't read minds so how we will know that she or he gave a that rate was reasonable or not. the voter have their own reason), will get more accuracy and a better result! also to leave confusion for a new comer like me so our votepower will not be affected. this is only just a suggestion :) because I know my suggestion will take time and an expense to edit or revise the system/program itself in that procedure for voting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:40 pm
Jo_esp
my problem is I don't understand too how to vote, what are the criteria of voting?

Voting is in many way a personal thing. I have always felt that if I vote for one entry in a contest in fairness I should vote on all of them. Which is probably why I have a high vote power.
When the guidelines say don't just vote because you like a photo, I think they mean don't vote 100% just because you like an entry, just like don't vote 10% because you don't like an entry.

For photographs,
1. is the entry on theme
2. is it in focus
3. a reasonably good photo.
in that case I'd give it 50%,
From then it's a matter of how well it follows the theme, colours, composition, Wow factor all that will gain it a higher %.
If it really falls down on any of those points I might give it less than 50%
If an entry is off theme, I'd red flag it and hope it will be removed, but give it a low % in case it doesn't.

It's important to judge each entry on it's own merit, not in comparison to others.
I hope this will be of some help.
Vibeke
I would like to be an emerging talent! Instead of a submerging Dinosaur!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:06 pm
Voting should not be comparative, each entry should be evaluated individually and how another entry in the contest impresses you should have no bearing on the one you are voting for at any given moment. How to vote has been discussed several times in forum topics but has had little influence on the voting habits of members that I can tell.
A scale of 0 to 100 per cent is common in a great many voting polls everywhere and should be understood by anyone. In school you're graded either alphabetically, A,B,C,D or F with a plus or minus added to the letter or a numerical system 0 to 100 per cent is used. In most New York schools 65% is a passing grade. In a contest such as we have there is no pass/fail, it's completely on how good an entry is perceived. When you judge an art work which is really what entries are, ideally there should be areas to consider when scoring. How well does the entry express the theme or how well is the source image used? Other categories to consider for any entry: composition, color, quality of work, technical skills employed, humor and general like or dislike. As I stated this would be ideal but it doesn't happen. Not all members are skilled enough to evaluate technical skills, not many have a strong enough art background to judge the academic artistic merits. This leaves only the personal like or dislike for the work and from what I've seen this is the primary motivation for the score. As members learn more about art and creating with a computer their knowledge should make their votes more accurate but the like/dislike factor is still very strong and that can't be changed. Voting is personal but you should vote as fairly as you would want someone to vote for you.
I can't stress enough how wrong it is to compare entries to determine scores. If you go to a museum you don't look at a Turner seascape and say it's better than a Wyeth pastoral, they're both magnificent and each is an expression of an individual and very personal.

I also agree with friiskiwi said on all counts especially about initial evaluation, in my case it's mostly on Photoshop and Drawing entries. I tend to start at 50% on most entries and evaluate the finer points from there.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:06 am
spaceranger wrote:Voting should not be comparative, each entry should be evaluated individually and how another entry in the contest impresses you should have no bearing on the one you are voting for at any given moment. How to vote has been discussed several times in forum topics but has had little influence on the voting habits of members that I can tell.
A scale of 0 to 100 per cent is common in a great many voting polls everywhere and should be understood by anyone. In school you're graded either alphabetically, A,B,C,D or F with a plus or minus added to the letter or a numerical system 0 to 100 per cent is used. In most New York schools 65% is a passing grade. In a contest such as we have there is no pass/fail, it's completely on how good an entry is perceived. When you judge an art work which is really what entries are, ideally there should be areas to consider when scoring. How well does the entry express the theme or how well is the source image used? Other categories to consider for any entry: composition, color, quality of work, technical skills employed, humor and general like or dislike. As I stated this would be ideal but it doesn't happen. Not all members are skilled enough to evaluate technical skills, not many have a strong enough art background to judge the academic artistic merits. This leaves only the personal like or dislike for the work and from what I've seen this is the primary motivation for the score. As members learn more about art and creating with a computer their knowledge should make their votes more accurate but the like/dislike factor is still very strong and that can't be changed. Voting is personal but you should vote as fairly as you would want someone to vote for you.
I can't stress enough how wrong it is to compare entries to determine scores. If you go to a museum you don't look at a Turner seascape and say it's better than a Wyeth pastoral, they're both magnificent and each is an expression of an individual and very personal.

I also agree with friiskiwi said on all counts especially about initial evaluation, in my case it's mostly on Photoshop and Drawing entries. I tend to start at 50% on most entries and evaluate the finer points from there.

Just an amendment to Spaceranger's eloquent post, after reading a lot of the gibberish posted previously: Anyone who consistently votes 90% or higher on the same entries I'm seeing deserves to lose VP.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:07 am
Oh thanks a lot for that additional guidelines. quite frustrating that i read all these additional guidelines too late. coz my VP now is zero :)) anyway it really helps for a new comer also to read forums to get more information and guidelines. though some people are not a happy reader of forums.

i just misunderstood the system. and now its clear.

Return to PXLEyes Suggestions