Source images question

Ask all your questions about PXLEyes here.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:14 pm
Newbie here. I need more clarification about 'source image' in a Photoshop contest. Can I draw my own source image? In the guidelines, it says 'You can use as many source images as you want in your entries, as long as they're all mentioned'. Do I have to mention a source image drawn by me as well? What is meant by 'mentioning a source image' by the way?
Can I use a royalty free photo from a website like Morguefile.com in my contest entry? Will it be considered as a source image or a reference image?
Please advice on all my above questions. Thankz! :-?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm
You are allowed to use your own drawings in entries.
But there are a few things you have to keep in mind:
1) If you draw something for your entry, make sure, that you post some intermediate steps of how you created it in your SBS (step by step guide), so it's clear to see, that it's your drawing and that you didn't take it from the internet.
2) If you use references to create it (so just to study, how an object looks like, how proportions are and so on) you have to post the source links and mention, that you used these images as references.
3) If you trace/copy something (so if you draw more or less a direct copy of a photo [doesn't matter if it's a copy of the complete photo are just some parts]) it's not a reference anymore, but a source.
This is of course also the case, if you use actual parts of that source in your entry.
Be aware, that you can only use copyright free sources.
And to answer your other questions:
Mentioning a source image means, that you have to provide the source links or, if you used your own photos, post them uncut in the SBS and make clear in the description, that this are your own photos.
We have a big collection of sites, that offer free source images, you can find it here:
http://www.pxleyes.com/resources/free-stock/
And this might help you also to find usable sources:
http://www.pxleyes.com/blog/2009/06/how ... ce-images/

I hope that answers your qiestion, if not ask again!
Have fun in the contest! :)
You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star.
Friedrich Nietzsche
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:16 pm
Lelaina wrote:You are allowed to use your own drawings in entries.
1) If you draw something for your entry, make sure, that you post some intermediate steps of how you created it in your SBS (step by step guide), so it's clear to see, that it's your drawing and that you didn't take it from the internet.
2) If you use references to create it (so just to study, how an object looks like, how proportions are and so on) you have to post the source links and mention, that you used these images as references.
3) If you trace/copy something (so if you draw more or less a direct copy of a photo [doesn't matter if it's a copy of the complete photo are just some parts]) it's not a reference anymore, but a source.
This is of course also the case, if you use actual parts of that source in your entry.
Mentioning a source image means, that you have to provide the source links or, if you used your own photos, post them uncut in the SBS and make clear in the description, that this are your own photos.
We have a big collection of sites, that offer free source images, you can find it here:

I hope that answers your qiestion, if not ask again!

Thanks a lot for the helpful info! :-)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:03 am
sunilz wrote:
Lelaina wrote:You are allowed to use your own drawings in entries.

I hope that answers your question, if not ask again!

Thanks a lot for the helpful info! :-)

So glad I found this post!!! Was just the clarification I was looking for. But I'd also like to ask an 'add-on' question in reference to the brushes(and their usage)... :
I use Jasc psp8, and it came pre-loaded with brushes/brush tips. I have also created a lot of my own (a hugely loooong time ago). I use them A LOT in my work. But I have no idea who created the ones that I didn't. Do I need to list every brush, (or picture tube) that I use in the SBS? :-\
Hi, I'm Janna....and I'm a PxlAddict.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:50 am
If you use brushes supplied with your software such as Jasc psp8 or Photoshop you only need to state that they are the default brushes from said program. We do ask that all other brushes used be identified as well and a link provided. The purpose of the link is to identify how the brush was created, simple photo based brushes are fine (like cloud brushes and moon brushes) as long as they aren't from manipulated images just like regular sources. Illustration based brushes are not allowed unless you created the illustration. Simple brushes like grunge or star brushes are fine also. I've created many of my own brushes as well and all you need to do is state that when describing them. If you're not sure if the brush you want to use is acceptable just ask a moderator, I never mind helping members and I'm on line most every day and will respond as quickly as possible.
Welcome to Pxleyes and have fun!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:49 pm
spaceranger wrote:If you use brushes supplied with your software such as Jasc psp8 or Photoshop you only need to state that they are the default brushes from said program. We do ask that all other brushes used be identified as well and a link provided. The purpose of the link is to identify how the brush was created, simple photo based brushes are fine (like cloud brushes and moon brushes) as long as they aren't from manipulated images just like regular sources. Illustration based brushes are not allowed unless you created the illustration. Simple brushes like grunge or star brushes are fine also. I've created many of my own brushes as well and all you need to do is state that when describing them. If you're not sure if the brush you want to use is acceptable just ask a moderator, I never mind helping members and I'm on line most every day and will respond as quickly as possible.
Welcome to Pxleyes and have fun!

Excellent! Thank you...that helped loads!!
Hi, I'm Janna....and I'm a PxlAddict.

Return to PXLEyes Questions