Keeping track of links to image sources

Post your images here to ask for help on improvements.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 am
Thought this might be a good place to mention a time-saving practice I've adopted.

It always seems to take me a fair bit of looking to find the image I want for any particular 'shop.

I tend to download a lot more images than I ever end up using for a particular project. I like the freedom of changing my mind at the last minute, and while I'm looking for a good source pic I inevitably find a lot of others I imagine I might use for future projects.

So what I do is [I'm on Windows7 but I know at least part of this is possible on other PC OS' and Mac]:
- Copy the url of image [i.e. the link you would use in your 'source' posts]
- Right-click on the image file once downloaded, go to Properties, Details
- Under Comments*, past the source URL

It sounds like a few steps to do but once you've done it a few times it's a really quick method. Especially considering the alternatives, and especially if you keep your download destination window open.

Hope this can make some people's lives a bit easier! And if anyone has an even better method I won't be insulted if you enlighten me ;)

*Or one of the other options such as Title, Subject, Tags, Authors, Copyright...if you use Bridge you might find using one or more of these fields more helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:17 am
Thanks for bringing this topic up - I've often wondered what others do. I tend to use Flickr and just add potential images to my Favourites, but then I have to go back and "unfavourite" them at some stage. I quite like your idea. :)
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 pm
I have a separate bookmark folder in my browser file for sources and just copy the URL of an image to it. Many times I give them more descriptive titles for easy recognition.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:29 pm
I'm with Bob, a simple drag 'n' drop 4 out of 5 times. The 5th time I have to search for it again :))
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

Return to 2D Help Corner