Need help again with skin tones

Useful 2D Resources
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:59 am
I am a photoshop hack! I mainly chop for laughs and post them on a hockey forum I belong to.

If I am not worth the time of the highly talented members of this site, I fully understand.

So here is my problem and I have not found a good tutorial on this because there are just not a lot of tuts about chop jobs.

I cannot for the life of me find a good way to match the skin tones of a head I might plaster onto another body. If I use hue and saturation, I just turn one or the other some ungodly color and even if I got close it is usually blotchy. If I desaturate, I just end up with grey.

Here is an example. Can someone point me in the right direction?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:17 am
There are a number of ways to do this quite simply.
Firstly it is best that you feather the neck join so that it is not so cut and pasted.
Secondly you can adjust the color on the head layer using Color Balance. Make sure that the Color Balance is clipped only to the Head Layer and use the clipping mask to remove the color change from the hair.
That is one way but there are many others, hope that helps.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:29 am
howcho wrote:I am a photoshop hack! I mainly chop for laughs and post them on a hockey forum I belong to.

If I am not worth the time of the highly talented members of this site, I fully understand.

There are actualy a lot of tutorials out on chop jobs just not maybe the kind you have been looking for. or maybe you didnt look in the right places.

have you tried playing with brightness and contrast as well? With color balance you can adjust the colors too, you can play with the curves n levels and another thing I use often to match colors is the match color option :) you just copy paste some other skin part that it suposed to match with on another layer and match one skin with the other through color match. You can find all these options under image ---> adjustment

Another thing that works sometimes is use a desaturated layer on top of a not desaturated and then simply lower the opacity of the desaturated layer (thats on top) So the effect of the desaturation is not as strong.

I hoped my answer helped you and got you some more options to try out :) Most of the highly talented choppers out ehre don't mind helping other people, We all have been where you are and worse probably (although I have not seen your choppings though). Also I don't think I am one of these highly talented choppers LOL You dont wanna see the number of fail entries are on my harddisk waiting for some day I am seeing the light and find the matching other sources that I have been looking for.

Perhaps others are gong to help you n point you in directions better then I can :)

Good luck

hugs ela

edit: heh i see solkee allrdy tackled it too while I was distracted by my daughter halfway typing my message lol
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:17 pm
I really appreciate the suggestions, thank you very much. I have not tried them yet as I need to try to digest your ideas and figure out how to do them (ie. clipping mask) but I can find tuts for that.

Here are some of my better ones :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:50 pm
hehe funny chops :)

Return to Links/Tips/Tutorials for 2D graphics programs